O4. Embracing the Unknown.

The following morning, you were abruptly awakened around 5 am, feeling utterly exhausted to the point where you could barely stand, your head drooping from drowsiness.

"Are you paying attention?" Lancer's stern voice and a sharp slap brought you back to reality, causing you to jolt awake, startled.

"Y-yes!" You responded automatically, though it was evident that you hadn't been listening at all.

Lancer sighed heavily, a slight twitch in their eye betraying their frustration.

"Do you want another slap?" Their voice carried a warning tone.

"N-no!" You yelped nervously, but before you could finish, Lancer's eye twitched in annoyance, delivering another sharp slap to your head. "Ouch..."

"Attention. As a guardian, your focus must never waver," Lancer scolded, arms crossed, while Shaman nodded in agreement beside you.

Ah, yes... You were now a guardian in training, though it wasn't as if you had much of a choice.

You tried to soothe the stinging sensation on your head.

"I-I'm sorry, I..." You stuttered, genuinely making an effort to concentrate this time. "What do I have to train today?"

"You will only repeat the same things we taught you yesterday," Shaman briefly explained. "Both Lancer and I have duties to attend to, so you shall train by yourself for today."

Your heart skipped a beat upon hearing those words. You'd be alone for a day! That meant you could finally allow yourself to rest properly and—

A dark glare from Lancer interrupted your happy thoughts, making you feel small. It was almost as if they knew what you were thinking.

"Do not entertain thoughts of rest while training," Lancer's voice resonated in your mind, sending a shiver down your spine. "You will train until you improve, understood?"

You groaned and pouted slightly, even letting out a small whine, expressing your desire to rest. Lancer's eye narrowed, their presence becoming more threatening.

"Stop whining before I decide to make your training harder," they spoke, their voice low and dangerous.

You bit your lip, exhaling heavily. "S-sorry..." You wavered, feeling a mix of fear and panic rising within you, yet the disappointment you felt for still having to train was obvious.

Lancer's gaze softened slightly at your apology, sighing heavily before returning to their initial cold demeanor.

"Go train," they instructed, their tone firm.

And so, with a heavy heart, you reluctantly stepped outside the palace, still clutching onto Longan's necklace as a reminder of your place and purpose.

As you made your way to the training grounds, you couldn't shake the feeling of unease. Training alone was daunting; ever since you were forced into this situation, you relied on Lancer and Shaman's guidance. What were you supposed to do without them? you were thrown on your own so quickly!

Arriving at the empty training grounds, you stood before the familiar sight of the training dummy. Gripping your wooden polearm tightly, you hesitated for a moment before striking out. Each blow echoed through the silent air, reverberating with your uncertainty.

You honestly didn't know how to train by yourself. All you could think to do was to repeatedly strike the training dummy, hoping to at least grow accustomed to holding a weapon. The polearm, though made of wood, felt heavy in your hands, each swing requiring effort and focus.