𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳

"Somewhere up ahead, this turns into a satyr path," Grover remarked. After jumping out of the bus, he, Percy, Annabeth, and Enid found themselves walking in a forest, with the boys following behind as the girls took the lead.

"What's a satyr path?" Enid heard Percy ask Grover.

"It's a road through the wilderness," Grover explained. "Satyr explorers use them. Harder to track us."

"That's great, but if we stay in the wilderness, how are we gonna find a phone?" Percy asked, continuing to walk with Luke's box in his hands.

Annabeth frowned as she turned to face him. "What do we need a phone for?"

"So we can call camp," Percy replied, receiving a confused look from Enid. "T-To get help."

"We don't need help. We're fine," Annabeth asserted.

Percy scoffed. "We're fine? We haven't even gotten to Trenton, and we're wandering through a forest. I didn't even know they had forests in New Jersey, but we've found one. I would say we're the opposite of fine."

"We were sent on a quest by the Oracle, by the gods," Enid interjected, turning to face Percy. "What'd you think, Goldilocks, it would be easy?"

"It's supposed to be hard," Annabeth added as she continued leading them. "That's why only certain people are chosen. If we call camp, we're basically saying it was a mistake to choose us."

Percy exchanged a look with Grover, who shrugged. "I'm completely comfortable with that. Everyone makes mistakes."

Annabeth abruptly stopped, forcing her friends to halt as well. She turned to Percy. "Why are you so afraid of who you are?"

"What?" Percy asked, taken aback.

"You know, what's interesting about this particular satyr path is it's actually the one my Uncle Ferdinand took when he set out on his own quest," Grover interjected, trying to change the subject to prevent another endless argument between Annabeth and Percy.

"What was that supposed to mean, afraid of who I am? I'm not afraid," Percy insisted, completely ignoring Grover.

"Yes, you are," Annabeth countered, ignoring Enid's silent pleas to stop. "You aren't just a kid. Just a kid doesn't do what you did to Clarisse back at camp. Just a kid doesn't have Hades sending lieutenants to retrieve them. You know, you are a part of something so much bigger than we can understand right now. We have to move forward, whether you like it or not, whether you want it or not."

"You don't want to call camp, fine," Percy said. "Then, at least let's call your mom."

"Excuse me?" Annabeth frowned, taken aback by Percy's mention of her mom.

"Athena? Your mother," Percy continued, eliciting a strong urge in Enid to punch him in the face. "I'd call my father, but we aren't exactly on speaking terms. You know, because of the lifelong neglect and all. But you and your mother seem close. So, why don't we ask her for help?"

"I swear, if you keep talking, I'll send you to the Underworld myself," Enid threatened as she approached him.

Percy looked at Enid, then back at Annabeth. "You can't ask her, can you? When was the last time she talked to you?"

"Grover," Annabeth warned him.

"I don't know why you're pulling him into this," Percy said, getting angry. "He's on my side."

Annabeth grew angry too. "What makes you think that?"

"He's my Protector, it's his job," Percy stated matter-of-factly.