one

Humming along to your music, you watched the city pass by, felt the bus start and stop, and were vaguely aware of the same passengers as always getting on and off. You took the same bus every day, Monday through Friday, as you had for the past two years, since you'd been promoted and moved to better accommodations that you could afford with your new pay. There were regulars on your commute, such as the elderly couple who got on one stop after you on the first Monday every month, and got off at the stop that you knew was closest to the art museum. They sat in the row behind you, and explained to you once that they had been passholders at the museum for years, and that was when new exhibits were rotated in.

Or in the front of the bus, a pair of sisters that you had inadvertently seen grow up over the years, who got on some time before your stop, and got off two stops before you in the morning, close to a nearby private school. You could sometimes hear the older one helping the younger with homework, or making last-minute fixes to her hair or uniform.

There were of course lots of office workers as well, who all rushed on and off the bus with promptness at their stops.

You recalled fondly the primary school teacher who used to sit next to you, young and always dressed in fun, colorful prints. She had blurted out one morning that she was pregnant, and you were the first person she was telling, even before her husband. She didn't know how to tell him yet, but was so excited and had to share the news with somebody, even a stranger that she only knew for a few minutes a day on the bus. You'd watched over the months as she started to show, then told you one morning she was just going on a short maternity leave to have her baby boy but would be back sooner than you'd know. She never got back on again. You hoped her son was beautiful and healthy, and still thought of them every so often when you'd look up and pass by her stop.

And then there was you. You sometimes wondered what they thought of you, if any of them did. It would be strange if they didn't have at least a passing opinion of you. Not because you yourself did anything remarkable on your daily commute. You got on, took the same seat every day, listened to your music with your headphones in, and got off at the same stop. But no matter how normal your routine was, how quaint your occasional conversations with your fellow commuters were, there was something that set you apart.

As signified by the strawberry red jumpsuit you donned five days a week, you worked at The Soulmate Factory. It was technically called the Bureau of Interpersonal Affairs, but everyone just called it The Soulmate Factory, even the employees. Not the most popular place to work, but the work that was done there had to be done nevertheless.

All Factory employees were ineligible for matching, in order to maintain the integrity of the Bureau's image. Your family could never understand why you'd accept a position there; never getting a soulmate of your own, never getting the one person destined for you. But you didn't see it like that. It's not like you could never fall in love, find a partner to spend your life with, or be fulfilled in any millions of other ways.

The bus jerked to a stop again, and the doors swung open. You stood up and hurried off. You were the only passenger to depart here, as usual. A building loomed in the distance, all flashing windows and pink marble.

Following in a few other coworkers in matching red jumpsuits, you hurried up the stairs, catching up to a familiar head of hair on the way up.

"Morning, Jaemin!" You chirped, nudging his arm with yours as you fell into step with him.

"Oh, hey, Y/N! Morning!" He offered you a bright smile, stepping off at the same floor as you and walking over to your neighboring desks.

"Hey, did you ever read that book I leant you?" You asked, dropping your backpack off at your desk before heading for the breakroom together.

There was always a quiet buzz in the morning that you liked, when everybody was still mellow from waking up, but excited to start the day.

He hissed regretfully, a sheepish smile already coming to his face, telling you everything you needed to know, "Well..."

"You haven't touched it since the day I gave it to you."

"I'm going to! Promise!"

"It's coming up on my re-read list," you warned him, starting a fresh pot of coffee. "I only have like four books ahead of it. That gives you like, four weeks max."

"You need to rot your brain with some TV or something." He shook his head teasingly, reaching up into a cabinet and pulling down a box of cereal.

"Hey, isn't that—"

"Na Jaemin, if you value your life, you'll put that box down now." The stern voice of Huang Renjun cracked through the air.

Jaemin turned around, hiding the box behind his back as he offered your other coworker a sickly sweet smile. "What box?"

"Come here, you son of a—"

"Hey, let's not commit homicide before the weekly agenda meeting, maybe?" You suggested loudly over their squabbling, as Renjun had just grabbed Jaemin by the collar. "Because I'm pretty sure if you kill Jaemin, they'll just reassign you his work, Renjun. Might want to see what your workload is like first."

Renjun yanked the box of cereal out of Jaemin's hand then, holding it to his chest protectively and scowling. "Fine. You better hope that you're on data synthesis, Jaemin."

He walked out still clutching the box to his chest.

"He's just going to eat it dry by the fistful, isn't he?" You sighed, starting to pour yourself a cup of coffee.

"Definitely," Jaemin confirmed. "And I'm suddenly really wanting to do some data synthesis this week."