three

The next morning, you kept your right hand hidden away as much as possible on your commute, in your pockets, behind your bag, under your thigh. You didn't feel remotely safe until you were in the matchmaking room, at your station. Even then, it took you longer than normal to stop from looking at your pinky and actually focus on the first match up on your screen. Once you had, everything else faded away like usual, and you could only think about reading the matches.

vLZD%v7^XftyvnM6HcxszgUbT6EaPaza41tJtv%#HFby%5Y2rWdujYUj8X21

At lunch, you typically would've taken your packed lunch to a nearby public park to eat, but that was too risky. So you took it to the breakroom, sitting at the small table and taking out one of your books from your bag. A few other coworkers came in and out to use the microwave or retrieve their own lunch from the fridge, but nobody bothered you as you read.

You finished your food rather quick, and found yourself a bit too distracted to focus on your book. The red string on your finger was back in the forefront of your mind. Checking the time, you saw that you still had over half of your break left. With a sigh, you shut your book and walked back over to your desk next to Jaemin's.

The floor was pretty empty, only a couple of your coworkers left who either took early or later lunches. You turned on the desktop computer, waiting for it to start up before quickly signing on. Opening up the program where profiles were compiled to be fed into the matchmaking system, you chewed on the inside of your cheek thoughtfully, clicking around on the controls. During the basic training you'd received over five years ago, you'd been shown how to compile and enter a profile into the database, and you obviously searched them up from your matchmaking station. But these were all profiles that hadn't been matched yet, that didn't have red strings. You needed to get into wherever the profiles that had been successfully matched were. If they were kept somewhere at all.

After poking around some more in the application, you determined that either you didn't have the technical know-how to access that information, the administrative access to do so, or that information wasn't stored in the first place. Exiting out of the program with a sigh, you dropped your chin into your palm, scrunching your eyes and nose up as you continued thinking. It felt like it was right there, right on the tip of your tongue, but you couldn't grab it for some reason.

The weekly agenda meeting, something about the weekly agenda meeting—Jaemin was assigned data synthesis. They compiled information on all kinds of stuff regarding matched soulmates: average time to meet after the strings appear, get married, have kids, how many kids, length of time they're together prior to death, the list goes on. That couldn't come from nowhere. They had to keep track of soulmates somehow, right?

You quickly opened the Internet browser, going to the Bureau's website and finding the 'Studies and Statistics' page. All of the things you were thinking about were there, complete with fancy little graphics. It didn't tell you anything about where this stuff was stored internally, but this meant that it had to be, somehow, somewhere. Which meant that your match had to be somewhere, and if you could just find it, then you could—

What? Undo it somehow?

It had to be possible. But first you had to find out how it happened in the first place, which meant laying eyes on the match itself, at least. You needed some kind of starting point, and that felt like as good as any.

At the end of the day, the matchmakers were let out early again, and you waited up at your desk as Jaemin was still working. He looked over his shoulder at you curiously.

"You need something, Y/N?" He questioned. "I don't have your book, sorry."

"No, I have a question. But you can finish your work first."

He made an interested noise, and turned back to his screen. After entering a few more things into his spreadsheet, he pressed save, then exited out with a satisfied groan. He shut down his computer and leaned back, audibly cracking his back. "Fucking finally! If I ever have to look at another number again, I'll walk into traffic."

You chuckled as the two of you set off. "Data synthesis that bad?"

"Yeah." He rubbed one of his eyes. "Anyway, what'd you want to ask me?"

"It was actually about data synthesis..."

"No!" He whined, shaking his head fervently.

"One question! One question!" You begged.

"Fine..."

"The data that you use, how do you get that? Like, where do you get it from?"

He looked at you, squinting with confusion. "From soulmates that have already been matched?"

"Then the Factory keeps records of matches after the strings have been triggered."

"Yeah, we do."

"Where? Is it a separate database from the one that you enter new profiles into? Or is it part of the matchmaking program?"

"I mean, it's probably its own thing? I don't know, I get the numbers in my data synthesis project assignments. If I need more, or something different, I tell the project manager and he gets it for me."

"Huh." You kept the disappointment off your face, as well as curiosity. While he didn't know a lot, what he didn't know actually was helpful to you. "Okay, thanks."

"That was more than one question."

"Right, sorry."

"What's going on? Why the interest in data synthesis all of a sudden?"

"Just curious, since you guys seem to hate it so much."

"It's... mind-numbing, to say the least."

"Here's hoping next week you're on profile compiling."

"Fingers crossed," he sighed. "Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N."

"Goodnight, Jaemin."

The next few days passed without incident. Your intervals of snooping around on your desktop computer during your lunch breaks were fruitless in finding wherever completed matches were stored, and soon it was Friday evening, and the work week was over. Not even a crisis like this could make you work late on a Friday.

You realized when you got home that you were out of groceries, and ordered delivery to your apartment. Can't risk someone at the restaurant being your soulmate.