fourteen

Picking up your ringing phone, you hopped on one foot and yelled in the general direction of it, "Hey, Sungie, I'm getting my shoes on right now, I'll be down in like two seconds, okay?"

"Change of plans?" His sheepish voice came out of your speakers. "My sister just called me. She's in need of some Best Uncle in the World services ASAP."

"Oh, that's okay," you reassured him, trying not to let your disappointment color your tone. You really did understand, but that didn't mean you couldn't also be a bit disappointed at your date being cancelled. "I get it, go watch your nephew."

"No, I'm like two minutes away. She said she's okay with it, and if you're okay with it, you can just come with," he suggested. "The little guy is just going to sleep most of the time so really it'll be like a movie day with some occasional baby sounds for ambiance."

"Oh... uhm, sure! Sounds fun!"

"Are you sure? You didn't sound sure."

"I just haven't met your family yet, Sungie. And your sister's cool leaving me with her baby?"

"I'll be there," he pointed out. "And you're my soulmate, obviously they know you're going to be like, the greatest person ever."

Before you could say anything else, you heard the sound of him knocking both over the speakers, and down at the front door to your building.

"I'm here!" He announced. "See you soon, baby!"

You sighed as he had already hung up, and you were left to yank on your other shoe, grab your phone, and run downstairs. Sungchan hurried the two of you through the streets, explaining that his sister's husband was out of town at a work conference, and their babysitter had just called in sick when his sister was already arranged to be out of the house this afternoon. Apparently, this was supposed to be his sister's first time going back to work since having her son, so she was really nervous about everything going just right.

Sungchan didn't even knock on the door, flipping through his keys to find one and unlocking the front door to let himself in.

"Chaewon!" He called out, leading you in by the hand. "We're here!"

A woman emerged from a hallway on the other side of the living room, carrying a baby, and thrust the child into Sungchan's arms. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Sungchan had to quickly let go of your hand to accept the bundle, but you barely registered that. You stopped in your tracks, unable to stop from staring at the mother's face as you were struck with the oddest sense of déjà vu.

"Chaewon, this is my soulmate, Y/N," Sungchan quickly made introductions. "Y/N, this is my sister Chaewon, and baby Joongie."

You weren't even looking at your boyfriend poking one of his nephew's chubby cheeks, as you and his sister were both very obviously having the same dilemma of trying to place the face. Then, she gasped, "The bus! We sat next to each other on the bus in the morning going to work!"

You covered your mouth in shock as she pulled you into a tight hug.

"Oh I can't believe it's you!" She gushed. "I'm so sorry! I had some complications and had to stay home longer than I thought I would. I'm going back full-time in a couple weeks, and I've been agonizing over which picture of Joongie to show you first! I was also so worried that you might not be on the bus anymore by the time I got back."

"No, no, no, it's okay," you promised her, squeezing her back just as tight. "I'm just so grateful that you and your baby are healthy and happy. That's all I would hope for, when we'd pass your stop, that you two were healthy. And I'm happy for you to be able to finally be going back, I know how much you love your kids at school, too. You said it was really hard to be leaving them for so long."

"What is going on?" Sungchan interrupted, utterly bewildered. "You two know each other?"

"We used to sit next to each other on the bus to work!" You told him excitedly, clutching her hand.

"Every morning for probably like a year!" Chaewon confirmed. "Before I left to have Joongie."

He shook his head. "What are the odds..."

"I have so much to tell you," you sighed wistfully to her. "I don't work at the Factory anymore, obviously."

"I know! Such a crazy story! I didn't believe it when Sungchan told me. You'll have to tell me everything not on the bus!" She laughed, then held her hands out for her son. Sungchan handed him over, and she delicately readjusted how his blankets were tucked around his face, then offered the baby out to you. Your eyes widened, making her laugh again, "I don't have to worry about which picture to show you now, you can hold him yourself. If you'd like. If not, Sungchan is more than capable."

You chuckled nervously, "I don't have a lot of practice... maybe later."

"Understandable." Chaewon was still grinning as she passed him back to Sungchan. She grabbed a tote bag off the ground, shouldering it as she started rushing towards the front door. "Get my number from Sungchan, we'll do a girl's night to catch up, he can babysit."

"Sounds good." You smiled as you heard Sungchan sigh, but made no further noises of protest at being volunteered to babysit again.

"It was so good to see you again, Y/N." She stopped in the threshold of the front door to take your hand again. "And I'm so excited to know you more than a few minutes every day on the bus."

"You too, Chaewon." You squeezed her hand back.

"Okay, bye guys, love you." She waved to her brother and son. "Have fun! Love you all! Mwah! Mwah!"

And with that, she closed the door.

You turned back around to look at Sungchan gently rocking his nephew in his arms. He raised his eyebrows.

"She's a whirlwind, huh?" He laughed, then jerked his head in the direction of the TV. "Come on, little guy can't talk yet, which means we can still watch movies with swears in them."

Sat on the couch with Sungchan and Joongie, you initially started tucked into Sungchan's side, but then he offered to move the half-asleep baby in your lap instead. Feeling a bit more secure sitting down, you let him, having to hold back a little squeal that bubbled up as Joongie immediately settled into your arms, seeming perfectly content to rest there as well. The little boy grabbed onto one of your fingers, holding it to his chest as his eyes closed and he eventually completely fell asleep.

Sungchan had an arm around your shoulders, messing with the hem of your sleeve as he leaned his head against yours affectionately. "Hey..."

"Hey," you echoed quietly, not wanting to disturb the baby in your arms.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Finding me again in the thrift shop." He pressed a long kiss to the crown of your head. "And filling every nook and cranny of my life with something special since."

Your hands were a bit occupied, so all you could do was scoot the tiniest bit closer to him and rest your head on his shoulder. "Thank you for letting me into every nook and cranny of your life, despite everything that happened before the thrift store."

"The computer doesn't make mistakes."

"And the string always gets tighter again."

"Ours is fucking elastic," he snickered, pressing another kiss to your temple. "It was a bit ridiculous."