chapter two: realizations and cancelled celebrations

day one of tour, awsten's nerves were shot. they were in the middle of loading up the bus, the blue boy needing to sit down to calm himself down some. geoff picked up awsten's low mood pretty quickly, letting otto know he was going to take five, leaving him to pack with jawn as he left to talk to awsten.

     he sat next to his friend on the curb, confused and concerned as to what he was seemingly upset over. "hey," he said softly, nudging him lightly.

     awsten smiled back, "hi, what's up?"

     "i should be asking you that," the brunette chuckled, looking at awsten with such a softness the blue boy had never really seen before.

     the younger shook his head, sighing out some before saying, "i'm just," he paused, "i don't know."

     the brunette placed a gentle hand on awsten's back, frowning as he lightly flinched. "take your time," he said softly. "'m right here."

     awsten smiled at his words, leaning into geoff's touch; the soft warmth of his hand combating with the swift cold air on that november morning. the blue boy turned to look at geoff, all thoughts immediately leaving his head as the brunette just looked...pretty? awsten shook his head, in an attempt to rid his thoughts, trying to form words but nothing came of it. 

     "what's up?" geoff asked, lightly pressing him for answers, rubbing his hand up and down his back.

     "just nervous, i guess?" awsten eventually replied, leaning back into geoff's touch.

     "nervous? the awsten knight, nervous?" geoff teased.

     awsten shrugged, giving a geoff a side smile, but the brunette knew it wasn't very genuine.

     "talk to me?" geoff asked, but the younger only shook his head, glancing back at otto and jawn arguing trying to put suitcases on the bus.

     "it's alright," awsten told his friend, cursing at himself for the vocal waver. the blue boy nodded at geoff, before getting up and assisting the other two.

     "ladies ladies," he mocked, holding his hands up. "you're both beautiful, okay?"

     otto simply rolled his eyes as jawn tried to argue again, though knowing he was only messing around with them. "but i'm the prettiest!" the red head scowled, earning a slap on the arm from awsten.

     the blue boy shook his head at their ridiculousness, helping them lug up suitcase after suitcase, unaware of geoff's stare. but otto sure picked up on it, he always did. he walked over to his spaced-off friend, waving a hand in front of his eyes, a smirk playing on his lips as geoff was brought back to reality, eyes wide and shaking his head.

     "wha? oh!" geoff said, clearly dazed.

     "you were spacin' out, somethin' up?" otto asked, but already knowing what it was.

     "no, 'm good? yeah," geoff stuttered out, running a hand through his hair.

     against his better judgement, otto let it slide. for now, of course. he would probably get jawn in on this later, but he'd ask awsten first since they weren't his feelings to spill. they both headed back to the bus to see it was nearly done, geoff telling the others he had it, feeling guilty he barely helped in the grand scheme of it.

     "you sure?" awsten asked, grabbing geoff's sleeve.

     geoff shook it off, shaking his head wordlessly as he attempted to busy himself with the rest of the supplies and luggage. awsten pretended it didn't effect him and nodding, retreating to the inside of his house, jawn and otto following closely.