chapter six: cuddles and confusion

the next day was thankfully an off day...well not really. they had to drive the bandwagon from texas all the way to arizona. upon remembering this jawn surrendered his driving duties to otto, giving him a wide smile as he tossed the keys over. the other rolled his eyes but obliged, this argument being completely pointless in the grand scheme.

awsten just lied there, rotting away in his bed. this was gonna be a long summer, that's for sure. geoff lied on the bunk above him, quietly brainstorming ways for his friend to feel better, and he was totally not thinking about the 'moment' they shared the night prior. he didn't know what to think of it or how to look at it or what it even meant at all.

"aws?" geoff asked into the void, praying otto doesn't hit a pothole that would most definitely cause him a concussion.

"hm?" he heard a hum.

he thought for a moment, forgetting completely what he was going to say.

"i don't got all day, geoff," the blue boy teased, a smile in his tone which made geoff's heart lift a little.

"just bored," he concluded.

"fascinating, anything else or can i go back to rotting?" awsten asked, slightly amused.

"well i don't want you to do that," the other replied.

"would you like to come rot with me then?" the younger rhetorically asked, but everyone knows when you give geoff an inch he'll just take a mile. before awsten knew it the taller had climbed down from his bunk and scooted his way into awsten's bunk, not caring what awsten-or anyone else really-had to say about it.

the blue boy just looked surprised, eyes wide, not thinking geoff would actually bite the bullet.

"i can get up?" geoff asked in a light tone, slowly moving away from awsten.

but the blue boy wasn't gonna let this slip from his fingers this quick, so he bit the bullet too. he wrapped his arms around geoff, pushing his face into the taller's chest, not caring what he had to say. but geoff didn't say much, or really anything at all. he watched the other with a gentle smile, wrapping his arms around awsten as well, making sure he stays right there.

"comfy?" geoff asked with a chuckle, but awsten just nodded, eyes closed in relaxation. "assuming i'm stuck here?" another nod. he rolled his eyes at his friend's childish behavior, but squeezed him nonetheless. after a few moments geoff grew bored, maneuvering so he could use his phone but he still had an arm around awsten. the other sleepily whined as he moved, but grew cozy again and had no more complaints. he was comparable to a cranky cat, but geoff can't say he minded.

he aimlessly scrolled instagram, liking fans' posts and posts about tour, but his mind was permanently latched to the boy next to him. geoff leaned his head down on awsten's, smiling when he hummed sleepily at the touch. they stayed like that for a good while, until geoff put his phone down and fell asleep too. when he eventually did wake up-blaming it on otto's shitty driving-he was turned on his side, arms around awsten, as his friend was cuddled into his chest. the brunette had no complaints for this, honestly just impressed he'd been asleep this long.

the taller ran a hand through turquoise hair, scratching slightly, as awsten moved impossibly closer, clearly melting into the affection. geoff smiled at this, almost wanting to kiss the top of his head-what? what was he thinking? he rapidly blinked, confused by his own intrusive thoughts. he instead settled for moving as close as he could to awsten, repeatedly running a gentle hand through his soft hair, almost wanting to fall asleep again. after a little while longer geoff could feel the other stirring. startled, he stopped his ministrations. but awsten wasn't having it; "didn't tell you to stop, been awake this whole time, dickhead."

"ohhh," geoff began, teasing in his tone clear as day. "you didn't wanna wake up and have me stop."

the other huffed, in no state to argue even though he started it.

"but if you like it so much," he began again, picking up the action once more, "then i guess i'll just have to continue."

awsten sleepily smiled, leaning into his touch. he'll let himself have this, just this one time, and then quit cold turkey.