chapter seven: shitty vision and lifesavers

the driving duties has passed through everyone...well except awsten. due to just how bad his vision was-even with his glasses-everyone came to a unanimous decision that he got a pass, but on one condition; when geoff drove awsten had to sit up front with him. they both tried to act unaffected, geoff's cover better than awsten's as per usual. so it was all settled.

they were a little bit into tour now, six or seven shows in now. it was geoff's turn to drive, but he got an easy job; just portland to vancouver. a piece of cake compared to otto driving for over fifteen hours. awsten was up front, as agreed upon, keeping himself busy by watching the scenery, pushing his glasses up every few minutes. he was close to just taking them off but he wanted to see, and not just see blobs as they passed through each city.

"those must be really aggravating," geoff observed, looking from awsten back to the road.

"yeah yeah, keep your eyes on the road," the blue boy replied, not having a death wish this day in particular.

the brunette only rolled his eyes, put doing as he was told, not wanting to put awsten in any actual danger...awsten and the others, that's what he meant...totally.

they made it to the venue in no time, the drive only being around five hours. they all immediately got off the bus, just wanting to stretch their legs, especially awsten who had been sitting criss-cross nearly the entire drive.

awsten heard his legs crackle and pop a few times, giving him flashbacks to his knee surgery all those years ago, and how he never wants an operation like that ever again. his eyes widened at each noise, scaring himself.

"you're fine, aws," geoff chuckled, seeing how his dual-toned eyes widened more and more with each noise. "i can carry you if you really want." and with that awsten's eyes immediately lit up.

the blue boy nodded enthusiastically, looking at geoff with his arms out. the brunette rolled his eyes, but scooped him up, and bridal style nonetheless. he carried awsten into the venue, bumping into otto and jawn as he did so.

"y'all wanna help us?" the red head asked, rolling his eyes lightheartedly.

"sorry!" geoff called, "carrying precious cargo, y'all're gonna have to wait!"

awsten pretended he didn't feel butterflies erupt in his stomach upon hearing geoff inadvertently call him precious. he was pretending a lot recently, it seemed.

they eventually made it inside, sitting awsten down on the stage, a familiar feeling in the pits of their stomachs.

"if you need anything just yell," geoff instructed, not letting awsten so much as cross his legs. "and stretch 'em out, no crossing."

"whatever," awsten replied snarkily, rolling his eyes and stretching his legs out, watching as geoff walked back outside, presumably to help the other two.

the blue boy was gonna keep to himself that he could walk perfectly fine, smiling to himself at what geoff had done moments prior, internally kicking himself at his giddy thoughts. he needed to get over whatever he was feeling for geoff and stop playing into this charade. he knew he had to cut it off, to keep the peace and the band together. but it all just felt so right.

as if otto could read his thoughts, he wandered in, putting a set piece down and coming over to his friend's side.

"you might've fooled geoff but not me," he began. "i know your leg's completely fine."

the other went red at the accusation, practically confirming it as true right then and there.

"so what's goin' on?"

"nothin' much, kind of nervous for the show but i'm always like that and-"

"you know that's not what i meant-"

"otto!" it was geoff again...lovely. "leave aws be!"

their curly-haired friend rolled his eyes, looking at awsten and mouthing, 'later.' and awsten thanked his lucky stars geoff came to his rescue again that day, really not wanting to talk to otto about these things.