Chapter Five - Dancing with the Devil

Alexandria internally curses as she quickly thinks of a way to charm Mr. Ackerly. As Alexandria feels Mr. Ackerly's grip tighten, she maintains her composure, concealing her discomfort with a gracious smile. With tact, she attempts to subtly adjust his hand, but to no avail. Recognizing the need to adapt to the situation, she decides to navigate it with finesse.
Maintaining her polite demeanor, Alexandria places her hand on Mr. Ackerly's shoulder, mirroring her previous interactions with Crowley. Her voice carries the same sweetness, masking any underlying nervousness she may feel. She directly meets Mr. Ackerly's gaze, projecting confidence despite the unease.

"May I have this dance?" she asks, her tone warm and inviting, though tinged with a hint of uncertainty, as she awaits his response, hoping to defuse any tension and foster a more comfortable atmosphere between them.

"Why, my dear, with a face as gorgeous as yours, you can have anything you want," Mr.Ackerly said as his eyes roamed all over her body. As the orchestra prepares to start up again, the two ready themselves into position along with the others on the dance floor. Alexandria maintains her pleasant smile, though inwardly, she feels a twinge of discomfort at Mr. Ackerly's overt compliment and his lingering gaze. Nevertheless, she maintains her composure, determined to navigate the situation gracefully.

"Thank you, Mr. Ackerly," she replies diplomatically, acknowledging his compliment while subtly redirecting the conversation to a more neutral ground. As the music begins, she focuses on the upcoming dance, using it as an opportunity to engage in a shared activity rather than dwelling on any discomfort.

"So, my dear, this is the first time I've ever seen you at one of these events. Did you accompany someone here this evening?" asked Mr.Ackerly with a raised eyebrow. Alexandria blushed, not knowing if she should respond or act bashful to him.

"I hope you didn't come here alone; we must fix that. A beautiful woman such as yourself shouldn't be alone. There are evil men in this world, and I would hate for such a magnificent woman to be ensnared by one of them," said Mr.Ackerly as he leaned into her ear to whisper. His hot breath on the side of her neck causing her to shiver and pull away from him. Alexandria's blush deepens at Mr. Ackerly's inquiry, her mind racing as she weighs her response carefully. His words, though well-intentioned, carry an undertone of possessiveness that sends a shiver down her spine.

For a moment, she considers how to navigate the situation without causing offense or discomfort. She smiles politely, masking her unease as she meets Mr. Ackerly's gaze.

"Thank you for your concern, Mr. Ackerly," Alexandria replies, her tone measured yet courteous. "Unfortunately, I did attend this ball with someone, or I would have taken your offer if I hadn't already been spoken for." Alexandria lifts up her left hand and shows off her engagement ring. Hoping Mr.Ackerly will take the hint.

Alexandria's response is tactful, yet assertive, as she gracefully deflects Mr. Ackerly's advances while maintaining her composure. The gesture of showing her engagement ring serves as a subtle yet clear indication of her unavailability and commitment to another.

Mr. Ackerly's expression momentarily falters as he registers Alexandria's gesture, his eyes flickering towards the engagement ring she displays. A hint of surprise crosses his features before he quickly recovers, his demeanor shifting slightly as he realizes the boundary she has established.

"Ah, I see," he replies with a forced smile, his tone polite but tinged with a hint of disappointment. "Congratulations on your engagement, my dear. I must say, your fiancé is a lucky man indeed."

"Oh, he might tell you otherwise," Alexandria responded with a bit of a laugh, trying to ease the tension. "Well, if he ever changes his mind, I would be more than happy to entertain your affections. He would be a fool to let you go." Mr.Ackerly said as they slowly moved their hand farther down Alexandria's back.

With practiced poise, Alexandria follows Mr. Ackerly's lead as they begin to dance, focusing on the rhythm of the music and the movement of their steps. She keeps her demeanor polite and composed, seeking to maintain a sense of decorum despite any underlying unease she may feel in Mr. Ackerly's presence. From the corner of her eye, Alexandria senses Crowley's gaze fixed upon her; Alexandria feels a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. His intense stare from across the dance floor conveys a complex array of emotions, perhaps hinting at possessiveness, though she cannot be certain.

As she continues dancing with Mr. Ackerly, Alexandria discreetly steals glances in Crowley's direction, trying to decipher the emotions in his eyes. The tight grip on his champagne glass doesn't escape her notice, adding to the air of tension surrounding him.

Despite the distance, Alexandria can't shake the feeling of Crowley's presence lingering in the room, his gaze a silent testament to their unspoken dynamics. She wonders what thoughts are racing through his mind as he watches her dance with another and what implications his scrutiny might hold for their personal and professional relationship. Alexandria slowly turns her attention back to Mr.Ackerly. She knows the music is almost ending, and she still hasn't figured out how to get the key.

As they sway to the music, Alexandria engages Mr. Ackerly in light conversation, skillfully steering their dialogue towards topics of mutual interest. With each exchange, she seeks to establish a rapport, building a sense of trust and familiarity that will aid in her distraction.

As the dance reaches its climax, Alexandria senses the perfect opportunity to set her plan in motion. With a subtle shift in her movements, she maneuvers closer to Mr. Ackerly, her fingers grazing the chain around his neck with feigned innocence.

Alexandria seizes the moment with a quick, deft movement, her fingers closing around the key concealed beneath Mr. Ackerly's collar. In one fluid motion, she retrieves the key, concealing it within the folds of her gown as she maintains the illusion of casual conversation.

With the key secured, Alexandria exhales a silent sigh of relief, her heart pounding with anticipation as she prepares to rendezvous with Crowley and embark on the next phase of their mission. As the dance draws to a close, she offers Mr. Ackerly a gracious smile, concealing her triumph behind a mask of elegance and poise. Mr. Ackerly and Alexandria both bow to each other. Alexandria makes her way off the dance floor, and Mr. Ackerly's gaze follows her the whole time. He watches her walk back over to Crowley. Crowley, maintaining eye contact with Mr.Ackerly, Crowley wraps a possessive arm around Alexandria and pulls her into him, sending a clear message to Mr.Ackerly that she is under his protection. As Crowley whispers into Alexandria's ear, his words causing her to blush, Mr. Ackerly's demeanor shifts slightly, his earlier interest tempered by a newfound understanding. He recognizes the unspoken dynamics at play between Alexandria and Crowley, the implicit bond that binds them together as partners in both duty and affection.

With a nod of acknowledgment, Mr. Ackerly respects the boundaries established between them, understanding that Alexandria belongs to Crowley in more ways than one. His gaze lingers on the couple for a moment longer before he discreetly turns away, allowing them their privacy.

"Well done, my little angel. I knew you could do it," says Crowley affectionately; he brings his right hand up and caresses her cheek. Crowley's words of praise carry a warmth that soothes Alexandria's nerves, his affectionate gesture reassuring their bond amidst the complexities of their mission. As his hand caresses her cheek, she leans into his touch, savoring the comfort and security he provides.

Unbeknownst to her, Crowley struggles to conceal the undercurrent of jealousy and possessiveness that churns within him, a tumultuous storm of emotions that threatens to unravel his carefully constructed facade. His inability to rationalize his feelings only adds to the turmoil, leaving him grappling with the intensity of his reaction to seeing another man dance with Alexandria.

Despite his inner turmoil, Crowley remains steadfast in his commitment to Alexandria, determined to shield her from the depths of his jealousy and insecurity.