chapter 2

Rhaella thought that the smell of King's Landing was unbearable.

The doors of the Red Keep stood large and heavy as they slowly opened. Princess Rhaenyra led the group as this was her former home. Rhaella trailed far behind her sisters and cousins, taking in her surroundings.

The matter of succession regarding the Driftmark throne would be decided, or rather, defended today. Rhaella found the whole thing quite pointless. Her grandsire, Coryls Velaryon had already established that Lucerys would inherit the throne. The calling of an audience was nothing more than a power play on Alicent and Ottos' part.

Otto. Hand of the King.

Master of deception, Rhaella preferred to call him. His influence was so blatant in the castle, that it's a wonder how the king manages it anymore.

"You all may explore if you wish." Rhaenyra called out to them. Her fingers fiddled with the rings on her hands. Anxiously. Rhaella noted.

"Don't stray far," Daemon added. "The meeting will take place momentarily."

Opting to follow Jace and Luc, the three venture outside to the courtyards. Rhaella slightly hikes up the dark purple fabrics of her dress as she avoids muddy puddles. The clashing of swords could be heard up ahead.

"Everyone is staring at us," Lucerys says. Unease was laced in his voice.

'Rumors travel fast here.' Rhaella observed. She thought it was plain as day that the two brothers were bastards. They lacked the white hair and looked too similar to a certain deceased knight.

"They're staring at you." Rhaella corrected teasingly. Jace flashed her an unamused grimace.

"It doesn't matter what they think," Jace said. He sped up his pace, walking towards a crowd circle. Rhaella locked arms with Luc as they followed after Jace.

Pushing past crowds of people, they saw Ser Criston Cole engaging in a sword sparring match with Aemond Targaryen. Rhaella felt herself stop. She turned to Jace who was already laser-focused on the sparring.

Aemond's long, white hair flowed like water as the dodged the opposing sword.

He had changed. Taller,self-assured, and most notably of all, a black leather eyepatch covered his left eye.Rhaella felt Luc grip the sleeve of her dress. Anxious, just like his mother.

"Well done, my prince." Criston Cole congratulated. "Soon you'll be winning tourneys."

" I don't give a shit about tourneys," Aemond stated. He flipped his sword in a show-off fashion.

Rhaella rolled her eyes at that. So different yet the same.

"Nephews." Aemond finally addresses the two boys. " Have you come to train?"

Rhaella crossed her arms, gauging the brothers' reactions. Jace sported a stern face while Luc's brow was heavily furrowed.Then. Aemond shifts his gaze towards her. He had an unreadable expression as he sheathed his

sword. Rhaella's eyes didn't dare break from his, her fingers fiddling with each other.

They hadn't seen each other in years. Rhaella made no attempt to reach out either. And why should she? Aemond never did. Fond memories of their time together hit her in waves.

Regaining her composure, she offered him a small smile, but Aemond did not return it. Staring at her one last time, he walks off, leaving her in the crowd.