chapter 4

Sitting directly in front of Aegon was a decision Rhaella was quick to regret.

She had chosen to sit by Baela and Jace specifically to avoid Rhaena, whose eyes questioned her when Aemond came into the dinner hall conveniently after her.

But now she had to be subjected to this fool.

Rhaella figured that she must've been glaring at him rather harshly, because she felt the hand of Baela rub her arm.

Attempting to relax, Rhaella reached for her wine cup, taking a sip. The atmosphere had been relatively calm after the entrance of the old king Viserys, who sat between Alicent and Rhaenyra.

The two women had shared what they thought were sneaky glances at each other. Rhaella thought they were being childish, it was obvious to her that the women still held a deep affection for each other.

"He's staring at you." Baela hissed to Rhaella. She didn't even need to turn her head to know that Aemond's gaze was on her, as it had been for most of the day.

Rhaella did not spare him a glance. He had slighted her earlier after all; He should be begging for her attention.

Suddenly, Princess Rhaenyra stood, cup raised in a toast.

"I raise my cup to her grace the queen," Rhaenyra said. Everyone at the table reached for their cup. Rhaella grabbed her cup as well, however, she did not raise it, opting to hold it instead.

"I love my father, but I must admit that no one has stood more loyally by his side than his good wife, and for that, I am deeply grateful." Rhaenyra finished.

Rhaella watched the queen's eyes flicker with conflicting emotions. She wondered what Alicent was contemplating. Fascinating, she found it. What goes through the mind of a woman who sliced another?

The Queen Alicent stood hesitantly. Her hands her folded in front of her anxiously.

" Your graciousness...moves me deeply princess." Alicent settled on. Rhaenyra accepts the response, with a small smile on her face.

The table settled back into calm chatter, each person into their conversation. Rhaella was bored. She had no interest in infiltrating the flirtations going on between Baela and Jace. Rhaella twiddled her fork between her two fingers, eyes darting around the room.

Deciding that she'd punished Aemond for long enough, she allowed herself to gawk at him.

He looked so handsome. Her eyes fell to his long, pale fingers wrapped around his cup. Rhaella could feel her face heating up with less-than-savory thoughts.

She desperately needed to compose herself.

Aegon rose from his seat, reaching for the wine pitcher that was between Baela and Rhaella.

In her distraction of ogling Aemond, Rhaella had missed the aggravated expression on Jace's face.

"I regret the disappointment you are soon to face," Aegon whispered to Baela.

Baela looked as though she was holding back dragonfire from Aegon. He tilted his head a little, pouring wine into his cup.

"If you wish to be well satisfied all you have to do is ask," Aegon said.

Uncharacteristically, Baela did not send a fury of curses Aegon's way. So naturally Rhaella took it upon herself.

Besides, she had since been looking for an excuse to give him a piece of her mind.

"And what could you know about satisfaction, dear cousin." Rhaella ventured innocently. Her violet eyes practically bore into Aegon's being.

Aegon smirked, welcoming the comment. " More than you, although I take no issue in showing you."