Prologue

Ever since I was a child, I had been a timid, shy, and socially awkward person. I never thought I would pursue a dream as an idol, until seven years ago when I decided to take a leap of faith. And now, here I am, standing on the stage in front of a huge crowd who is cheering for me and the other girls who are part of this survival show.

The suspense music is playing on the background, making my heart beat faster and faster.

"This envelope holds the fate of the remaining trainees," he says, holding it up for everyone to see. He tears it open slowly, making the crowd scream louder in anticipation.

"I have the result of who will fulfill her dream as an idol and join her friends on the center stage," he pauses for dramatic effect, "and also the one who came so close but sadly will be eliminated." The MC looks up at the center stage, where the other participants who have already secured their spots are waiting nervously. There is only one spot left, and I feel like my heart is going to stop. I try to calm myself down, but it seems impossible.

"If you see yourself on the screen, it means you are a candidate for the last spot!" He announces, as the audience goes wild, cheering for their favorite trainee to fill the last spot. I look at the screen, hoping to see my face, but also dreading it. What if I don't make it?

"REVEAL THE CANDIDATES!"

I feel a cold sweat running down my back as the camera zooms in on me, showing me on the big LED screen along with another contestant. I gasp, looking at the screen with disbelief. It can't be . . .

"Victoria King"

"Victoria King"

"Astrid Liu"

"One spot left, and only one girl will fill that spot! Who will it be?" The MC teases, as the camera pans to us, showing us holding hands tightly and tears streaming down our faces. It looks like fate is playing with us, since I desperately want to debut with Astrid. She was my best friend, my sister, and the person who comforted me when I was still a nobody. She was my ears every time I vented.

"It's okay, Victoria, don't cry! No matter what the results are, we will always have each other, right?" She says, smiling through her tears and squeezing my hand. I give her a bittersweet smile and nod. I really want to debut with her, but only one of us will make it.

I close my eyes and hope for the best.

"And the final spot goes to..."