Trei

"You really are stubborn, aren't you?" I remark as I step out of the hospital entrance, finding him waiting there.

"It's one of my many charms, madam," he replies confidently, flashing a smile that manages to disarm me, despite my irritation.

"I never agreed for you to walk me home, mister," I point out, crossing my arms.

"Fair, but you didn't directly deny it either. I figured I'd just try my luck," he responds, a hint of pride evident in his tone.

"You, sir, are way too optimistic for your own good. And the fact that you think you can outsmart me is annoying," I retort, starting to walk away.

"Yet you haven't technically asked me to leave, so I might try pushing my luck a little more," he says, falling into step beside me.

"I could be a creep, you know. Take you to my home and kill you or something," I try to sound menacing.

"I don't think a lovely lady like you could be like that. But even if that were the case, I'd happily die if it meant getting to know a little more of the mysterious Annie," he replies, his words catching me off guard.

"Why me? Why go after the one woman who shows no interest in you and could possibly be the most hard-to-get being to ever exist?" I inquire, genuinely curious.

"Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. There's just something that makes me not want to give up. Something that tells me there's more to the mysterious woman I saw at the bar," he confesses, and I can't help but believe him.

"Three dates," I sigh, finally relenting. He stops in his tracks, excitement evident in his expression.

"What did you say?" he asks eagerly.

"I'll give you one and only one chance. I've never met a more stubborn human being than you. I'll go out with you on three dates. If I find them to my liking and get to know you more, I might give you a chance. If I dislike them, you'll stop following me and leave me alone and in peace. We have a deal?" I propose, hoping he understands the gravity of my offer.

"This is way more than what I thought I'd ever be able to get, so hell yes, I agree," he responds with enthusiasm. I sigh, but a faint smile tugs at my lips.

"Meet me on Friday then. We can do or go wherever you want after my shift. I expect you to be waiting for me in the afternoon outside of the hospital where you were waiting today. I will kill you if you're late. Understood?" I lay out the terms.

"Yes, ma'am," he salutes me like a soldier receiving orders, and we both laugh.

As Friday rolls around, I find myself both anticipating the upcoming date. It's not often that I let someone into my world, and the thought of spending time with Bucky Barnes, of all people, fills me with a strange mixture of feelings.After finishing my shift at the hospital, I make my way to the agreed meeting spot outside the entrance, half-expecting Bucky to be running late. To my surprise, he's already there, leaning casually against the wall with a boyish grin on his face.

"Well, well, well, right on time as promised," he says, flashing me a charming smile as I approach.

"Don't act so surprised," I reply, sounding a Brit old but that is already usual.

"Can't blame a guy for being eager, can you?" he quips, falling into step beside me as we start to walk. "Guess not," I concede, a small smile tugging at the corners of my lips.

"So, Annie, any preferences for our first date?" he asks, glancing over at me with genuine interest. "I don't know, surprise me," I reply. "Alright then, surprise it is," he says, a mischievous glint in his eye.

We walk in comfortable silence for a while, the bustling city streets providing the backdrop to our conversation. Despite my initial reservations, I find myself enjoying his company more than I care to admit. There's something about him that draws me in, something I can't quite put my finger on.Before long, we arrive at our destination—a quaint little café tucked away in a quiet corner of the city. It's the perfect spot for a first date, cozy and intimate with just the right amount of charm.

"Surprise," Bucky says, holding open the door for me with a flourish. "You didn't have to do all this," I say, feeling a pang of guilt at his thoughtfulness. "I wanted to," he replies simply, his eyes meeting mine with a sincerity that catches me off guard.

We settle into a corner booth, the soft glow of candlelight casting a warm, inviting glow over everything. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable, and for the first time in a long time, I find myself letting my guard down.

As we talk and laugh, I can't help but feel a connection forming between us, a bond. There's something about Bucky that feels familiar, almost like coming home after a long journey.

"Annie, I'm curious to learn more about you," he says, leaning in with genuine interest.

I hesitate for a moment, unsure of how much to reveal. But then I decide to open up, telling him about my life here on Earth. I talk about my adoptive parents, omitting the fact that they're not from this planet. I mention my two brothers, sharing both the good and the annoying aspects of our relationship. And I talk about my passion for medicine, how helping others fills me with purpose and drive. He listens intently, allowing me to talk for as long as I want about each topic. And as the evening wears on, I find myself growing more and more comfortable in his presence.After some time, we both decide to call it a day. I offer to pay my share of the bill, but of course, he doesn't allow it. He insists on walking me home, this time making sure I arrive safely at my doorstep.

As we leave the café and make our way back home, I can't shake the feeling that something special is happening between us. Maybe, just maybe, I'm starting to see Bucky Barnes in a different light—one that's filled with possibility and hope for the future.