☞︎𝕄𝕪 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪☜︎

༻ 1456 words༺

{Mania pov}

These past few days, weeks we've been jumping from house to house. Scavenging for whatever we could find. It was tough, especially knowing that the RV could break down at any moment. We downsized leaving behind the van and Daryl's truck, we packed what cars we did have with the rest of our things. I still rode with Daryl on the back of his motorcycle.

That's when me and Daryl came up to a graveyard on the highway full of cars. We went ahead scouting for a way through and then turned back. Daryl pulled up next to Dale who asked if we found a way through. To which Daryl nodded and Dale followed us through. We got to an open patch when the RV broke down again.

"I said it. Didn't I say it? A thousand times dead in the water." Dale announced. "Problem Dale?" Shane asked looking around. "Oh, just the small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of- okay that was dumb." Dale then realized just how not screwed we were.

"If you can't find a radiator hose here," Shane said. "Whole bunch of stuff we can find here," Daryl said followed by T-dog saying how we could siphon some fuel. Followed by everyone stating what we could find. I, just like Daryl started looking inside the cars.

"This is a graveyard, I don't know how I feel about this," Lori said. After that, I was out of earshot, and I was happy that I was. I found some clothes which I stuffed in my bag and food. Then out of nowhere someone or something tugged me down to the ground. I looked up and saw that it was my brother, who shushed me as I saw my sister under the car next to us. It seemed to be clearing up after a while though I wasn't too sure. That's when I heard screams, we got out from underneath the cars and saw Sophia running into the forest. Two walkers were hot on her trail as Rick followed. My brother stopped me from following saying that Rick had it. That was when Shane, Daryl, Glenn and I all went in search of the two, where we found Rick with blood all over his shirt.

"You sure this is the spot?" Daryl questioned, "I left her right here, I drew the walkers away off in that direction up the creek." Daryl said something I couldn't make out for the life of me.

"She was gone by the time I got back here. I figured she just took off and ran back to the group. I told her go that way and keep the sun on her left shoulder."Rick said. "Hey step off to the side you're mucking up the trail," Daryl said to Glenn. "Assuming she knows her left from her right," Shane spoke up.

"Give the kid some credit she's not five," I said hating that he was jumping to conclusions. "Shane she understood fine." "Kid's tired and scared man. Had a close call with two walkers, gotta wonder how much of what you said stuck." Shane says as if he was already assuming she was dead.

"Got clear prints right here." Daryl said, "She did like you said headed back to the highway." I said sending Shane a death glare. "Let's go spread out," Daryl said as Glenn gave him a hand up. "She couldn't have gone far," Rick said keeping hope that she was close by. "Could've made her way back," Daryl said as he helped me out of the lake then Shane helped Rick. "Hey, we gone find her, could be tucked under a bush somewhere," Shane said as Daryl and I took the lead following her prints.

"She was doin' just fine till right here. All she had to do was keep goin'. She veered off that way." Daryl said. "Why would she do that?" Glenn asked. "Maybe she saw something? Spooked her? Made her run off?" Shane said. "Walker?" Glenn asked as I shut it down noting that there were no other prints. "So what do we do? All of us press in on it?" Shane asked as Rick told him to go back to the highway with Glenn saying that we would take and keep tracking her.

"Tracks are gone." "No, they're faint. They ain't gone she came through here." "How can you tell I don't see anything, dirt, grass." "You want a lesson in tracking or do you wanna find that girl and get our ass off that interstate?" Thankfully we kept on having nothing more said. We were walking when we heard something close to us causing us to duck down and see what it was.

We saw a walker. We went at it from three different sides cornering it. That's when I threw my knife and Daryl shot it, my knife hitting it first.

"That's two Dixon." "Lucky shot." He replied. "Y'all got a little better goin on?" We just shrugged our shoulders.

"Sophia!" Daryl screamed as Rick and I crouched down getting some gloves on and looking at the walker's hands underneath the nails.

"Whatcha lookin' for?" Daryl asked and Rick replied saying skin under the fingernails. Daryl also crouched down getting gloves on.

"It fed recently," Rick said as I opened the walker's mouth attempting to pull something out of its teeth.

"There's flesh caught in its teeth," I said as I finally got the piece of skin loose.

"Yeah, what kind of flesh?" Daryl asked inspecting what he could see of it in my hand.

"Only one way to know for sure," Rick said pulling out his knife, as Rick ripped the shirt open.

"Here. I'll do it." Daryl said pulling out his much larger and sharper knife. "How many kills and skins and guttings you done in your life anyway? Mines sharper." Daryl said as he plunged his knife into the depths of the walker's abdomen.

"Here comes the bad part," Daryl said warning Rick as he tore the flesh open to get a better grasp at the insides and a better visual. I could tell that the actions being performed didn't sit well with Rick's stomach. Though it didn't bother me much I've tortured and killed men before so this for sure wasn't the worst I've seen, the same seemed to apply to Daryl.

"Yeah, pops had a big meal not too long ago. I can feel it in there." Daryl said as he pulled out the stomach and placed it on the ground prepping his knife. Daryl again said something I couldn't make out. Mans is quiet I can't hear half the shit this man says.

"I got this," Rick says as he cuts open the stomach of the walker with a surgeon's touch. Careful not to ruin any piece of evidence that could be inside this walker's stomach. I then reached in spotting what looked to be bone, and pulled out a woodchuck skull.

"Bastard had himself a woodchuck for lunch," Daryl said as I threw the skull to the ground.

"At least we know," Rick said as Daryl got up and mimicked Rick's words. Rick and I also got up taking our gloves off.

We started walking back. Saddened by not finding more clues and being halted by the sun coming down. It was a big loss but even with my skills, it'd still be better to do it in the light in case I miss something. We walked up the hill, Carol spotting us.

"You didn't find her?" Carol asked tears beginning to fall I just put my head down and walked to my siblings.

"Her trail went cold. We'll pick it up again at first light." "You can't leave my daughter out there on her own. To spend the night alone in the woods." Carol replied as the group gathered around Rick and Daryl.

"Huntin' in the dark ain't no good. Just be trippin' over ourselves, people will get lost." Daryl said at that point my heart shattered seeing a weeping woman trying to grasp that her daughter is missing. With the fact that she can't do anything except rely on others to help find her daughter. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was in her shoes. I walked away trying to grasp my emotions, trying to remind myself that today there was nothing more I could do to help find that little girl. That's when I hear Rick telling Carol along with the rest of the group that me and Daryl know the woods better than anybody. And that he's asked us to oversee the search party.