III

eddie

Eddie had been invited to a party! He looked in his mirror as soon as he got home.

"Look at you go, Eddie Dear!" He laughed proudly. "Yeeehaw!" He excitedly looked into his closet, planning his outfit in advance. He had a few pieces of nice clothes, though they looked brand new.

"Should I go fancy?" He asked himself, looking through the items hanging up. "Or should I try being cute?" Eddie looked a bit longer, then referred back to Julie's decorated invitation.

'Wear an outfit for fun!!' It said. 'We're gonna have food and games!! And fun!' Eddie smiled. He supposed that the neighborhood hadn't had a party in a while. The last one was thrown by Wally, though it was hardly a party. What fun!

Eddie eventually decided on a red suit. It wasn't all too fancy, but it looked real nice.

"Tomorrow night!" he said to himself aloud. "I've got some invitations to deliver." He resolved to do it tomorrow morning. In the meantime, he tried to plan what he might do at the party. Julie's gatherings never failed to be entertaining; she would invent new games, make outfits, and all the like. Eddie knew that he wouldn't be bored, but...

"I don't know how to dance." He said aloud. As soon as the thought struck the mailman, he grew a bit worried. He began trying to console himself and dispel his own worry.

"It can't be that hard, just a bit of this-" The mailman swayed a little. "A bit of that," Eddie almost tripped as he tried to replicate some semblance of a dance. He clumsily regained his stance, then stood still. What if Frank wanted to dance with him? What would he do?

He sat behind the counter, pondering. As he did this, the bell above the door rang to indicate someone's arrival. Eddie stood up hurriedly.

"Eddieeee!" Julie called, joyful as always. "I've got some invitations that I need delivered, stat!" She laughed, setting down a stack of five very sparkly envelopes. The glitter fell all over the wooden desk, causing it to shine as well.

"Julie, I reckon you could cause a flood with all that sparkle," He shook his head, laughing. "You said that you need these sent right away?" Julie nodded fervently.

"Pretty please, with sparkles on top! Frank's gonna be there, so it's got to have everyone!" Eddie nodded along. Even though he'd decided on handing them out tomorrow, a day early never hurt.

"Oh, there you go twistin' my arm! Alright, I guess I can start now." He smiled at Julie, then took the letters in his hands. He could already feel the glitter in his blood.

"Thanks!! You're the best!" Julie dashed out of the office, running off to do who knows what. Eddie sighed and began delivering letters.

A while later, Howdy, Poppy, Sally, and Wally had all been visited. All that was left was Barnaby. Eddie was hesitant. Barnaby could be a real hoot, but he could also be a nuisance. It became harder to put it off the longer he tried to. Eddie knew that eventually he'd have to deliver this invitation. He approached the house once more, looking around suspiciously for the resident jokester. He wasn't going to be fooled twice.

"Barnaby!" he called as he got to the door, then knocked. "Got a letter for ya, straight from Julie!" For whatever reason, this garnered an immediate response.

"From Jules? Is it another one of her parties?" Barnaby said right as the door flung open. Barnaby's tail wagged excitedly. Eddie, stunned, handed over the sparkling envelope.

"See ya there, Eddie, if you don't break a bone first!" The blue dog laughed, then slammed the door. Eddie stepped down, then walked away. Something about Barnaby never rubbed him the right way. He could see why Frank disliked him so much.