CHAPTER ONE

PART - 1: THE FIRE BEGINS

Chapter - 1

Mian

Stephen Pedro must be killed - the news was bragged with pride.

The moment Henry Bern, the Assistant Director of Intelligence-CIA, stepped inside the boardroom of Watsroe- loud silence filled the air. All the members predicted the future with notable accuracy but they waited for the official words. Stephen Pedro must be killed.

After nearly fifteen peaceful minutes, an indifferent, expressionless Henry with a boastful and confident Camille Chauv exited the meeting room with the news. Henry began, "CIA gives complete legal authority to Watsroe for the search of Stephen Pedro and the permission to kill him on spot. Of course, in discreet. Thank you." Then he walked out towards the elevator.

Camille looked at Mian and gestured him behind her. A clear imitation to trail them. They went down the elevator in silence with only the operator directing the floor numbers. And for the first time Mian could study the reflection of the man on the stainless steel.

Henry Bern neither looked like a CIA shot nor like a gunman. A perfect genre of the 90'S jazz, he was, with white short hair slackened back with gel. His chubby cheeks didn't scream a history against terrorists, instead they looked silent with a purpose of terrorism in contrast with his slender limbs. Mian pictured him as a stick with a balloon on top as a skull; "weirdo", he remarked mentally. Two dark button eyes were planted over the pudding face with thick rimmed glasses as a cover. Henry could hide his emotions well, had cleanly mastered the art of hiding it with the growth of blackened years; the spied reports had mentioned his age to be 42 years. 

They didn't go to the basement car park, instead they headed straight to the porch. A shiny black SUV waited for Henry.

"Meet the Killer Bird", Camille said without warning. She aimed the recognition to Mian but her words were for the balloon headed man.

Henry turned back and gave a nodding smile to Camille before shaking her hands with minimum enthusiasm, "Thank you and nice to meet you, Miss Camille Chauv." He looked at Main, but his later words were still meant for her, "Please excuse us."

Camille looked at Mian with a concerned yet a make-him-taste-your-poison eyes and nodded before heading away from their view.

Henry scrutinized Mian with a skeptical look, "The Killer Bird, huh? Name?"

"Mian Martinez", Mian said. The Killer Bird sounded funny in Henry's Russian accent. Or maybe Canadian. Or maybe just well-trained American.

"You look young -". Henry reached for Mian's shirt collar and tried to straighten the crease.

"I am just my age, sir", Mian said. He stepped back before Henry could reach him. The Killer Bird, huh? Yes.

"Twenty four?", Henry asked. The disappointing move had troubled him.

"Minus three", Mian added.

Henry was not satisfied, he nodded hesitantly, "I have an offer for you, answer me in a yes or no."

"My age isn't the level of my stupidity-", Mian quipped. "- sir."

"Well, I agree." Henry didn't.

"What's the offer, sir?", Mian asked.

"A position in the CIA", Henry stated tartly. Central Intelligence Agency (USA).

"And?", Mian questioned indifferently.

"You want more? Look-", he gazed high at the top of the building , a sage green colored sign adored the blue reflection of the windows: WATSROE. ''Watsroe is just a baby. Baby steps. Baby achievements. Baby criminals.''