Blood

Goldheart knelt by his partner's side, holding Shadow close to him as blood continued to drip onto the deck's wooden floor. He was sobbing, he wanted to be strong, but he couldn't help it. Shadow meant the world to him. He would die if the captain did.

Soon enough, Goldheart was shouting frantic orders to the crew. He called for Amy, called for Tails, anyone who had even the slightest of medical training. Shadow was growing weaker. Goldheart didn't have time to waste.

"Anyone!" He shouted. "Help!"

Tails was the first to move. Together, they lifted Shadow up gently and carried him to his quarters; Goldheart growing evermore anxious. He was going to do everything he could to keep Shadow alive. After setting Shadow on his bed, Tails got to work.

The young fox ripped off the captain's bloodstained uniform, casting them to the side as he examined the black hedgehog's wound. It was a deep gnash, clearly dealt by the blade of a sword. Shadow groaned weakly as Tails checked the wound for any signs of infection, all the while getting blood on his white gloves and the bedsheet. It was a shame, but sadly, now was not the time to be worrying about laundry.

Goldheart watched with an uneasy breath as the fox maneuvered around Shadow's body and injury. The blue hedgehog had always thought of the captain as invincible, a legend nigh impossible to kill, let alone injure. Yet here he was, lying near lifeless on the bed. Goldheart sighed, his form shaking as tears formed at the edge of his eyes. Reality was all too real. It hurt.

Shadow was no legend. He was a mortal.

Tails sighed as well, out of stress and not pain. The captain's condition was stable; the fox concluded as he bandaged the black hedgehog gently. He turned to Goldheart, offering him a reassuring hand, to which the blue hedgehog hugged the fox instead. Tails patted him on the back, reminding him that Shadow would be alright. Goldheart nodded.

And for the next two weeks, Goldheart captained the ARK with all the might he had. But his heart would pull him back to Shadow every day. He would spend hours beside his lover, sitting by the bed and telling stories while the black hedgehog rested and recovered. By the end of the fortnight, the captain awoke to a relieved Goldheart by his side.

Another week would go by, and Tails would visit the captain to inform him he was ready for duty once more. The bandages were removed, and the wound has healed without complication. Shadow returned to the ship's deck, fully dressed in his iconic red coat and feathered hat. He took the helm once more, commanding his crew as they sailed the seven seas without worry.

Goldheart hugged Shadow, both relishing in each other's presence. But one thing is for certain.

Forever burned into the memories of the blue hedgehog was the sight of Shadow, bleeding to his death.

It would never happen again. Not on Goldheart's watch.