Swab the Deck

Swabbing the deck. Goldheart hasn't done that in a while, not since his first day on the ship. Ever since he became first-mate, deck swabbing hasn't been assigned to the blue hedgehog until today. Understandably, a lot of the crew was sick and unable to work. Goldheart supposed he could make the best of it. He enjoyed it on his first day, after all.

Goldheart had the mop in his hands and the bucket at his feet; tapping his feet to the beat of a shanty he hummed under his breath. To and fro went the mop, cleaning away any dirt or mud stuck to the wooden floor of the deck. Goldheart was set on making the deck squeaky clean.

Shadow came out from below deck a few moments later. He looked around, blinking with surprise. The deck practically shone in the sunlight; not a hint of dust or muck could be seen, even upon close inspection. The deck has not looked this clean in a good, long while, not since Goldheart joined the crew. Who did he assign deck swabbing to?

"Hiya, Cappy!" Goldheart said, waving as he packed away the mop. He gripped the bucket handle tightly, tipped it over the railing, and dumped out the dirty water into the ocean below. Shadow smiled.

Of course, it was Goldheart. Only the blue hedgehog could clean the deck this well. Shadow remembers the day Goldheart first joined and how the deck stayed spotless as long as he swabbed it. It was amazing how the first mate could work so well.

"Good job," Shadow said, "it's just as good as your first day."

Goldheart chuckled.

"Yeah." He responded softly, reminiscing his first day on the ARK . "It was a good day."