44. My Property

"So, we're going to have to make a team of eleven? But there's 35 of us. And we're all forwards?" That was Hiori, looking up at Ego.

"We're just going to have to patch a team together." Ego shrugged. "Besides, some of you have surprisingly good skills suited for other positions instead of striker."

He waved his hand. Where it passed, six Bluelock logos sprang to life on the screen. "The formation of the team will centre around these six players. These players are the top six in Bluelock currently, and the rest of the team will be built around them."

Y/N pursed his lips, staring up at Ego. I'm number one, right? I have to be...

"Number one, Rin Itoshi." A picture of Rin shimmered into existence. Heads turned to face him, Shidou with an impressed look on his face.

Y/N clenched his teeth together to stop himself from yelling. There was no way in hell Rin was better than him.

"Number two, Shidou Ryusei." Shidou grinned, clicking his tongue and winking at Y/N simultaneously.

"Number three, Karasu Tabito." The purple haired boy smirked, hands in his pockets.

"Number four, Otoya Eita." The white-haired guy with a green stripe down the front of his hair nodded.

"Number five, Yukimiya Kenyu." The tall boy with glasses smiled, showing off perfectly white teeth as he bowed politely.

"Number six, Nagi Seishiro." Nagi's eyes widened slightly, and he glanced up at the ceiling.

Y/N sucked in a deep breath, then released it through clenched teeth. The glasses guy - Yukimiya - raised a hand. "Excuse me, Ego?"

Ego waved his hand in a 'go on' sort of manner. Y/N's hands came together, thumb rubbing over his knuckles as he stared up at the screen. Yukimiya smiled. "Just wanted to ask, what is the difference between me and first place?"

"It's simple, really." Ego replied. "Out of the thirty-five players here, only three of them were able to score goals against the World Five. Two of those three are Rin Itoshi, and Shidou Ryusei. After that, it was simply a matter of how you've performed throughout the entirety of the project so far. That explain it, Mr Model?"

Y/N looked across. He's a model?! Yukimiya nodded cheerfully. "Yes, thank you! I'm just a little confused though, who was the third person to score against the World Five?"

Y/N could almost feel Isagi, Bachira, and Aryu's gazes burn into the back of his head. He held his breath as Ego spoke. "I'll tell you about that later. For now, here is how the third selection will work."

"First, the top six will be split up into three teams. Everyone else will get a chance to choose between these teams, and three of you will be put with the two top six members to form a team of five."

As Ego spoke, his words were illustrated with more holograms. "These teams of five will all play each other, with the top six playing more than one game each. Everyone else has only one chance."

Someone behind Y/N in the crowd spoke up. "But if you do 35 minus 6, that's only 29 players. That doesn't fit into even teams of three."

"You think I'm stupid?" Ego sighed. "There will be 28 players competing in the tryouts, excepting the top six. Therefore, we'll hold one game with only four people on each side. You don't get to choose if you're in that game or not, and it'll be played on a smaller field."

Ego's eyes met Y/N's. "To the 28 players participating in the tryouts, the key is how you 'assert', and how you 'coexist' with the top six. You must show your skills in aiding, and overcoming them, in order to get a place. You have 24 hours to choose your team."