2.10. Twisted Sadist

"The second half is just about to kick off! Natsuki, any thoughts?"

"Too many to say, Tereasa! I mean, it's been a stunning game so far. The U-20 is known for their defences, yet Bluelock have consistently managed to break through with their superior attacking patterns. I mean, it's been a huge shock to me, and probably to the rest of you guys in the audience!"

"Yep! I've just had a look, and social media is blowing up. The Bluelock project is going all over the top posts, and every single player is having their name thrown around. It's not just in Japan, though. Internationally, it's beginning to gather huge attention, from just 45 minutes of play!"

"To any international viewers, it's a pleasure to have you! The players are coming out onto the field as I speak, and they all look ready to roll!"

"Hold on, Natsuki. There's apparently been a substitution during half time, and it's actually from the U-20 team...?"

"Really?!"

"Look, there! Let's get a camera zoomed in on the player. Number 13, Y/N L/N, replacing Wakatsuki Itsuki!"

"I've never heard of this guy before...?! To be replacing someone like Wakatsuki for the second half of this game, it's a huge gamble from the U-20 team! He must be hell of a forward for them to have such trust!"

"Wait..."

"What?"

"He's not going into the same position as Wakatsuki! Folks, both in the stadium and watching from home, this unknown Y/N L/N is taking the striker's position on the U-20 team!"

"Are you serious?!"

"Deadly!"

Ego Jinpachi, standing on the sidelines with the rest of Bluelock, watched the players as they spread out onto the field. The commentators were having a field day, probably never having casted a game with such drama before. The audience was cheering louder than ever, thousands of voices yelling support for the U-20, cheering them on.

Though, he caught quite a few cries in favour of Bluelock. More than a few, actually. Along the lines of a thousand or so.

"There he is." Anri spotted the slight figure of Y/N, standing near the centre of the field with Sae. The U-20 team were kicking off - something that was a huge threat to Bluelock. "Next to Sae."

The striker was wearing the same jersey as the rest of the team, a large number 13 on the back. He looked excited, bouncing in place with bright eyes, head on a constant swivel to take in the entire stadium. He looked the same as always. Cheerful, energetic, and gentle.

Ego knew different, of course.

Different players, he'd found, had different types of ego. Over the past years, and especially over the past few months inside Bluelock, he'd seen many. Shidou Ryusei, and his eccentric, almost feral playstyle. Rin Itoshi, and his cold, puppetmaster-like playstyle. Yukimiya's playstyle of street soccer, Otoya's playstyle of stealth and speed - each player's way of playing said so much about their unique ego.

A player's way of playing the game, especially at the highest level, was tailored so much to that person's individual life. Sae Itoshi, with his playstyle of destroying beautifully, came from his own destroyed dreams of being a striker, changed into a new dream to become the best midfielder in the world.

Y/N L/N? His playstyle was different. Against the World Five, Ego had watched him run straight at the enemy. He'd abandoned logic, going straight for the paths that would cause the most destruction.

When playing in the second selection, he'd forced each player to fight him using their best weapons, challenging each of them one on one in order to completely destroy them. It was a baffling way of fighting, one that had left Ego scratching his head over. Why did Y/N play like that?