21. Fifty-Two Metres

Y/N felt the best he'd ever felt since coming to Bluelock. Playing properly, even if he didn't put much effort into it, was so freeing. He never realised how much he actually enjoyed soccer - when he was just standing around, it was boring as hell.

He grinned widely, completely unaware of the looks everyone was giving him. And whether it was admiration or fear or envy, everyone was watching him.

Isagi seemed pumped by the goal, and instantly began rallying the team. He called out orders as Team V retrieved the ball from the back of the goal.

As Reo and Zantetsu walked over to the centre of the field, Y/N could hear them talking.

"Ever since Nagi and I took up soccer six months ago, our record's been spotless. I don't want a stain on it, but at the same time, I don't mind if it's Y/N that's the cause of that." The purple haired boy met Y/N's gaze, face softening into a smile.

Y/N was thankfully called away by Isagi, as the blue-haired boy tried to organise the team. "Raichi, man mark Reo! Chigiri, Gagamaru, cover the space that opens up. Y/N, play midfield and try to get the ball! You can feed a pass to me all the way next to the goal!"

"Like hell I will." Y/N scoffed. Even without realising it, Isagi is organising the team into a formation where he can score, and everyone else has no chance. And everyone's going along with it for some reason.

"What?" Isagi looked startled by Y/N's rejection. "It's our best way to win!"

"No, it's the best way for you to win." Y/N replied, lowering his voice slightly so the rest of the team wouldn't hear. "But whatever. It's good to see your ego."

Raichi was running forwards, straight towards Reo. Even though he was behind, he quickly caught up, latching onto Reo and trying to steal the ball.

It was an effective technique as Reo had to constantly deal with the blond boy. He didn't have room to dribble nor shoot, and instead, he passed it out to the flank.

Zantetsu stopped the ball, pausing for a second as he began to run forwards. His boots dug into the ground fast, accelerating at a high speed as he narrowed his eyes. "I'll carry the ball forward!"

Chigiri went to meet him. The princess's top speed was much faster than Zantetsu, but it didn't particularly matter as the Team V player changed directions, still accelerating.

"Mark him with me, Kunigami!" Isagi called over Kunigami, the two of them heading to pincer Zantetsu from either side. The ball had steadily inched its way closer to their goal, and now was sitting in the middle of their half of the field.

Before either of them could do anything, Zantetsu suddenly stopped, his face creasing with confusion as he realised he wasn't kicking the ball forwards.

He slowed to a halt, looking around blankly. "What?" Isagi and Kunigami stopped as well, seeing no ball between the black-haired boy's feet.

"How the hell?!" Reo's voice ran out loud across the pitch. Y/N had the ball somehow, sprinting towards the centre touchline faster than anybody could react.

Three Team V members closed in from the front in a tight bunch. Y/N didn't seem to care at all. He pushed the ball using the outside of his foot, changing directions so fast his entire body looked like it teleported.

He ran along the centre line, towards the edge of the field as Team V converged on him. His own team called out for the ball, but the small boy didn't seem to hear them as he ran for the sidelines.

"What is he doing?" Reo slowed, watching as four of his team attempted to surround him. It seemed to work - they had him pinned against the side, and the only way Y/N could get the ball out was by passing back.