chapter three // ryan's drunk

CHAPTER THREE
ryan's drunk

Bri opened her car's door and got inside. Bri sat down, mentally running through everything she had dealt with today. She sighed in relief at finally being able to go home. The cars around her had all left, and the country club was finally closing for the weekend. She slid her key into the ignition and turned it. The engine roared to life and Bri shifted the gear. Her radio played low in the background and she hummed along to a pop song. She was ready to leave. As she was about to pull out of her parking spot, she felt a tap at her window. Bri pressed the brake, and rolled her window down. "Hello?" She called out.

"Hey, Brianna right?" Pete said, and Bri immediately felt her cheeks turn pink. Was he seriously soliciting her in her car?

"Uh, yeah," she slowly nodded, trying to seem cool and content. Pete's hand landed on her car's door, and she attempted not to flinch.

"I need your help," Pete said, and Bri shifted the car into 'park'. She exhaled loudly and met his eyes.

"What?" Bri asked, and Pete sighed. He smiled widely as she took her key out of the ignition.

"You remember my friend?" Yes, she remembered his friend. The two of them were all she could think about for the last seven hours. Bri nodded, urging Pete to continue. "He's drunk off his ass. I can't get him in the car." Bri sighed and gestured for Pete to back up so she could get out. He stepped back, and she pushed the door open. Pete looked the same as he had the last time they spoke, besides the fact that the makeup he had been wearing was smudged.

"How did that even happen?" Bri asked. They typically only served champagne or wine, and even then the bar would cut you off after two or three glasses. Bri had gotten drunk here before, so she knew it wasn't impossible, just wildly difficult.

"He's a lightweight, and I gave him both of my glasses," Pete shrugged. He led the way, and the pair of them discovered where Pete's friend was sitting on the curb. His shirt was covered in what she assumed was sweat and liquor. "Hey, Ryan." Ryan looked up, a smile on his face. He looked happy and content, despite being incredibly drunk. His cheeks were pink and his curly hair was disheveled.

"Hey, you," Ryan said, his eyes darting between the two of them. Pete reached a hand out to Ryan, who struggled to stand. Bri placed a hand on his shoulder, helping to steady him. Ryan gave her a smile, and she returned it. "You! From earlier."

"Hi," Bri said. It was certainly an interesting way to get to know someone. Pete grabbed Ryan's other shoulder and the pair of them walked to Pete's car. Pete led the way to his car and the car in question was incredibly nice. He drove a Lexus, it was black and obviously recently cleaned. She remembered that this was a country club and that this was expected. Pete fished the key out of his pocket, and the doors unlocked. Pete let go of Ryan to open the door, and Bri grabbed his other shoulder. They were face to face for a few seconds, and Ryan found this amusing.

"Hi," he giggled.

"Hi," Bri smiled back. Pete took hold of him again, and Bri helped him into the backseat. Ryan slumped over, and Pete slammed the door.

"Thanks," Pete said, his face decorated with a smile. Bri smiled back, the entire situation was comical.

"You haven't been drinking, right?" Bri asked. Even though she didn't really know this guy, she would feel terrible if she let him drive away drunk. Pete shook his head.

"No, I gave both of my glasses to Ryan," Pete reminded her. The pair of them stood in silence for a moment. Pete opened his mouth to speak, and then thought better of it.

"Okay, well, I'll be back on Monday," Bri smiled. "See you then?"

"Thanks for the help," Pete nodded, and then his smile disappeared for a few moments. "Let me make it up to you." Bri cocked her head, searching his eyes.

"No," she shook her head. "This was the least I could do."

"Let's get breakfast," Pete said. Bri's eyes studied the floor. Pete was interesting, he was nice enough, and he wasn't terrible on the eyes. She just didn't need this right now. Her last boyfriend had dumped her after three years, and she couldn't handle more rejection. "It's just breakfast, I promise. After that, I can leave you alone."

"Just breakfast?" Bri looked up, into his eyes.

"Just breakfast," Pete nodded. He extended a hand for her to shake, and hesitantly she met it. He gripped her hand in his, and forcefully shook it once. "Meet me here. I can take you somewhere." The whole idea seemed terrible. Getting in a strangers car was rule number one on how to get kidnapped.

"Okay," she nodded without even thinking. "Good night, Pete." Pete beamed at her, and opened his driver's side door.

"Night, Brianna," Pete said as he climbed into his car.

"Bri," she said quietly.

"Bri?" He started, saying her name slowly like he was trying it out on his tongue,"Good night, Bri," and with that, he closed the door. Bri stood for a moment, and then she turned around. The walk back to her car was agonizing. It was terribly quiet and dark. Her mind was running a marathon, thoughts of Pete occupying every spot in her head. It was like she couldn't escape him. She arrived at her car, and quickly got in.

The drive back to her apartment was quick. The radio was off, her mind was the only thing she could listen to. The street lights of Los Angeles illuminated her car, causing her to be painted in greens and reds as she pulled into her parking garage. She made it up to her place and locked the door behind her. "Bri?" Maggie called out from the couch. Bri silently waved as she set down her bag. If she'd tried to talk her words probably would've failed her. "I get it, girl, don't worry." Maggie sipped something from her mug, and Bri disappeared into their shared bathroom. She turned the shower on and striped down. Steam filled the bathroom as she mentally prepared herself for whatever she'd gotten herself into.