chapter four // breakfast date

CHAPTER FOUR
breakfast date

Bri pulled into the almost empty parking lot. Besides her car, there were only two others. She recognized one as Pete's, but the other was probably a groundskeeper. She put her car in 'park', and sat for a moment. She was nervous, something about this felt weird. Bri didn't know this guy, she'd met him twice. Exhaling away the nerves, she grabbed her purse and got out. Bri locked her car, and took a deep breath. She'd dressed herself in leggings and a sweater because for some reason, Los Angeles' weather mood swings hadn't let up. Pete was probably still in his car since Bri couldn't see him. She pulled her purse up her arm and walked over to Pete.

Finally, she spotted him. He looked just like he did the night before, but certainly more put together. Ryan last night had probably done a number on him. Bri knocked on the window, smiling when Pete noticed her. He clicked the lock on the door, and Bri walked around to get in. "Hey," Pete smiled. Bri sat down on the leather seat, and shut the door. She pulled the seatbelt down, and turned back to Pete.

"Good morning," Bri said, and she noticed herself checking him out. He was wearing a hoodie and jeans, and his eyeliner was perfectly applied unlike when she saw him last night. Bri didn't know why she was drawn to Pete, maybe it was his attitude. Bri watched as Pete shifted the gear stick into 'reverse', and he pulled out of the parking spot. The pair sat in silence, until Pete spoke up. It hadn't been uncomfortable, but rather the silence of a first date or a first meeting.

"I was thinking we'd go to a small diner or something," Pete shrugged. Bri studied his side profile, eyeing his face.

"That sounds nice," Bri nodded, and watched Pete drive. His hand rested on his thigh, rubbing back and forth. It seemed like a soothing motion and Bri wondered if Pete was nervous. Hell, she was still nervous. Pete opened his mouth, but then closed it. "What?" Bri asked, and Pete breathed out a laugh.

"Nothing," and they pulled into a small parking lot. Pete pulled into a parking space and they both got out. Silently, the pair walked up to the door of the diner. It was quaint, themed like one from the fifties. There were pictures of Elvis and other older bands and singers, and a jukebox playing songs. Pete approached the woman working. She led them to a small booth next to a window. The window had a view of a library across the street. It was quiet besides the music, shockingly it was pretty empty. Pete was fiddling with the sleeves of his jacket, staring blankly at the table. Bri was staring out the window when the waitress walked up.

"Good morning," she was almost upsettingly energetic, and Bri blinked slowly at her. "Water to start? Coffee?"

"Coffee for me," Bri nodded. She looked towards Pete, and he nodded.

"Same," and the waitress walked away. Pete looked at Bri now, his eyes tracking over her face. "So."

"So."

"Tell me about yourself," Pete smiled, and Bri shrugged. His smiles were contagious, they were wide and toothy. What did he want to know? To Bri, she herself wasn't that interesting.

"Well, I work at the club. I'm twenty-five. I graduated college," Bri said, resting her chin on her hand. Pete smiled almost wider and let out a laugh.

"Tell me the interesting stuff," Pete said, and Bri rolled her eyes. "Of course you work at the club, I've seen you there for two days. You took my drink order." He laughed.

"What do you want to know?" Bri replied, and Pete shrugged.

"I don't know, what do you like? Not like? What's your family like?" Pete asked. Bri could feel her heart in her chest.

"Well, I love reading and watching t.v.," Bri said simply. The waitress placed their mugs on the table. Bri picked her's up and took a gulp of the dark liquid, while Pete emptied two packets of sugar and a container of cream into his.

"Favorite show?" Pete interjected, sipping his coffee.

"Probably House Hunters. I live in a small apartment, so I like to see other people's accomplishments in their homes," Bri said, wrapping her hands around the mug. Pete nodded, and then urged her to continue, "I do not like sports games or watching people cook."

"But you play sports," Pete said, "I watched you play tennis. Is it just watching the games that gets you annoyed?"

"Yeah, it makes me want to get out there when I can't," Bri replied, "and football just makes everyone angry so I avoid those games." Pete nodded. "I have no siblings, but my parents are married. They... uh," Bri paused. This was when she could've turned Pete off of the conversation. They were having such a good conversation, and if she told him that her parents owned the club, he might not want to talk to her. He seemed down to earth.

"They what?" Pete smiled, "it can't be that bad." Bri shook her head, a nervous smile on her face.

"They own the club," Bri said, and she immediately took a sip of her coffee so she couldn't see Pete's face. The waitress appeared then, and any chance of Pete replying depleted.

"What can I get you both?" She asked, and Bri set her coffee down.

"I'll get the pancake combo with bacon," Bri said, and she then turned to Pete. His gaze was stuck on Bri, but after a long second, he turned back to the waitress. He didn't look upset, but she couldn't read what was on his face.

"Uh, same," he nodded, and the waitress glanced between them.

"You have the same taste," She chuckled, and then left with the promise of being back soon. Bri turned back to Pete, and he was smiling widely.

"You think I care?" Pete said, his eyes wide. "I could've assumed. Your last name is literally on the sign." It was called the New Leads Country Club, so yes, Bri's last name was on the sign. She laughed, her cheeks red.

After a few comfortable minutes, the waitress arrived back with their meals. She set them down, and walked away. "Okay, your turn."

"Okay. Hm, I play bass in my free time, I'm twenty-seven, and I never graduated college," Pete said, his foot kicking Bri's under the table in a comforting joke.

"Interesting," Bri smirked, picking up a piece of bacon. Pete rolled his eyes, and sipped his coffee.

"No, really, okay. I like writing a lot," Bri nodded, and Pete continued, "I also visit with my friends in my free time." Bri remembered Ryan, and wondered if all of Pete's friends were like that.

"How's Ryan?" Bri asked Pete as she cut her pancakes. Pete laughed out loud, and he set down his silverware.

"Horrifically embarrassed," he joked, and Bri's palm covered her eyes.

"He shouldn't be," she replied. Pete forked a mouthful of pancakes and ate them, his eyes scanning Bri's.

"He called me this morning to apologize actually," Pete said as he swallowed the pancakes, "asked me for your number." Bri laughed. Something about the way Pete said it made her laugh wildly. "Actually, can I get your number?" Bri went quiet, before nodding rapidly. Pete chuckled again, enjoying her eagerness,

"Yeah," Bri pulled her purse onto her lap and pulled a pen out. Then, she grabbed Pete's arm. His eyes were wide, mouth curved into a smirk. Bri pulled the cap off with her mouth, and scribbled the digits onto Pete's wrist. In hindsight, she could've put them in his phone, but this was more fun to her. Pete felt warm, and his heart felt high in his chest. Bri let go of his wrist, and went to finish her meal.