chapter nine // warming up

CHAPTER NINE
warming up

He slid the key into the door, and honestly Bri was shocked he didn't have like, a keypad or something. Pete pushed the door open and together they walked inside the multi-story house. It was bigger than anything Bri had seen, which honestly surprised her. Her parents were well off, she'd seen her fair share 0f mega mansions, but this was on another level. Her childhood home had always been larger than her friends, but this was excessive. There was a large grey couch next to the door that framed an even bigger television. "Jesus." Pete turned around to look at Bri, a small smile on his face.

"Don't be like that," he chuckled. Be like what? He had to admit his house was huge. Bri rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. She was still soaking wet, her mind making some dumb joke about being soaking wet elsewhere. Pete disappeared for a moment, and returned a second later with a towel. "I have a guest room, too. I... I can find you some clothes if you want to shower." Bri's eyebrows shot into her hairline. Showering? At Pete's? Despite her rapidly beating heart, she still nodded. Pete nodded back, and handed Bri the towel. He led her down the hallway to another room. It was huge.

"This isn't the master?" Bri asked as they entered the room. The bed was huge, Bri couldn't imagine staying here, even for one night. She spotted the bathroom door, and Pete ushered her inside.

"No," he shook his head. What the hell did the master bedroom look like? Pete was trying not to smile, his lips downturned. "You can see my bedroom another time," and Bri felt a laugh rising in her chest.

"Stop," she shook her head playfully. With the towel in her arms, she walked into the bathroom. The bathroom was tiled beautifully, white and gray. It looked deliciously modern, and Bri was excited to get under the hot water.

"I'll get a change of clothes for you," she heard Pete call, and Bri hummed loudly back. She set the towel on the counter and turned the water on. Immediately, it was warm. Unlike her apartment, she was actually excited to feel the warm water in contrast to the cold from the rain. Once she was sure Pete was gone, she pulled her wet shirt off of her body. It was kind of difficult to remove, but it came off after a struggle. Next to go was her skirt, she was able to pull it down easily. Bri spotted herself in the mirror, and she smiled. She felt giddy, weirdly enough.

Once she was ready, she opened the glass door of the shower and stepped under the spray. It warmed her up quickly, her goosebumps fading almost instantly. Bri looked off to the side and took note of the soaps that Pete had in his guest room. The shampoo was scented like strawberries, and Bri felt her heart thrum with a confused twinge. Did Pete use strawberry shampoo, or did he have enough women stay with him that he needed an entirely different shampoo? They were just friends after all, but something about this new discovery made her feel sick with a new feeling. The feeling wasn't entirely new to her, but feeling jealous about Pete? That was new.

The shower sprayed her tears away, and she was able to distract herself as she disregarded the hair soaps and decided to just warm herself up. Bri didn't know why she was crying, she didn't care that much. She turned the shower off and got out. She picked the towel up and wrapped it around herself. Once she was mostly dry, she pulled her undergarments up. Since they were just friends, Bri decided that he wouldn't care if she came out in just these. She wrapped the towel around her body once again, and with a deep breath, pushed the door open. "Pete?"

He was indeed in the room, sitting on the bed. Well, more like laying, but when she walked in, Pete had practically jumped out of his skin. "Hey!" she noticed that his cheeks were definitely red, and she smiled at that. Bri picked the clothes off of the bed and disappeared back into the bathroom. She wasn't like the other girls he'd taken home, she could admit that to herself, but something about how red and flustered he got was worth a little embarrassment. She took note of the clothes he'd given her. They were definitely his, at least he didn't have a closet for all of his hookups. She pulled the old band tee on, then the basketball shorts. When she looked in the mirror, she felt more warm inside than the shower had made her.

"Pete? I'm dressed," she pushed the door open to find him sitting on the edge of the bed like a puppy. He was smiling wide, and he stood almost right when she walked out. She didn't miss the way that he looked her up and down, in fact she lived in that moment.

"I was thinking we could watch a movie, or something," Pete shrugged, and Bri nodded. She loved the idea. Maybe he'd turn on that oversized fireplace she'd spotted and they could cuddle, but she'd blame it on the cold weather and he'd pull her even closer. Pete led her back into the hallway and together they sat down on his giant couch. She caught herself wondering how he ever left as she sunk into the grey, comfortable material. Pete was near her, but not close enough. She couldn't even feel the warmth that radiated from his being. He clicked the large television on, scrolling through movies. He landed on some action movie that Bri had heard of but never seen, and she found herself not even paying attention to the credits as the movie began. Her eyes were trained on his side profile. "You're gonna like this one, I promise." Bri laughed, but she knew she wouldn't.

She didn't mind though, her mind wasn't focused on it. "Okay," she said, but Pete looked over at her, catching her gaze. She spotted something in his eyes, something that fed less into excitement, and more into... hunger? Bri chalked it off as her imagination, and sent him a friendly smile. Pete's gaze turned back to the television, but Bri's stayed trained on him. He had to know what she was thinking.