Act I, chapter 5: The House that Astarion built

Elen POV

Your eyes spring open, taking the spawn by surprise. Your perfect little act of deep slumber coming to an abrupt closure, now pressing a sharpened wooden stake dangerously close to his heart. The scent of his terror would be exquisite if you had a mind to enjoy the alien impulses coming from the illithid tadpole lodged inside your frontal lobe. Raising an inquisitive eyebrow at Astarion you state:

"-I didn't think you'd be the first to let your guard down by attempting such a naive enterprise. I'm a bit disapointed, I'll admit.

-Shit", he blurts under his breath.

There he was, robbed of his pleasant façade. Pupils dilated almost to the point of making the crimson pearls of his irises disappear, the distorsion of fear slapped across his pretty face. And so you wait, patiently holding the winning hand, letting him regain a semblance of composure.

"-Please, please, hear me out before doing anything whimsical with that well crafted murder tool.

-I'm listening.

-I... I never drew any blood from intelligent creatures, I just needed a taste, to know it. To feel it."

He's not even lying, but there is clearly more to it than he is letting on. You recognize all too well the ravenous hunger in his eyes, it pushed him into this reckless attempt. Keeping a firm grip on the picket and retaining the muscular tension needed to plant it into his ticker, you retreat your arm from his bust. He lets a sigh of slight relief out.

"-I dare not think you dull enough to assume drinking from me would make you a fully fledged vampire.

-Gods no. Come on, I know how this works", waving his hand in the air as if to swat away the assumption.

"-There is something you are not telling me.

-Darling there are a lot of things I am not telling you.

-I know, but it is time to let the bat out of the sack about the matter at hand.

-Fine, fine.

-So..?

-I am not feeling as strong as my usual self since the parasite took residence inside my skull, I need to feed more, and had hoped that... better food would help. I want to make myself more useful in battle.

-Sure... altruism. Sounds very much like you", you snicker bitterly, however internally noting the fact that you too had been way hungrier than normal since your forced vacation on the mindflayer ship.

"-Urgh, of course it's not about being charitable. I want to increase my chances at survival, what could even be wrong with that?

-Nothing. Just know that if you had asked politely, I would have drawn a full bottle of my own plasma for your personal consumption."

He readies himself to interject.

"I am not finished", you firmly say before continuing:

"-You knew what I am even before the moment we properly met, and I made my vampiric nature public on the second day of our travels as a group. You did not, and I respected your wish for secrecy at the time, even though you clearly are not the best at being discreet with those empty blood encrusted jars lying around in your tent, sometimes in the grasp of the others' eyesight. It will end. You will announce it to them tomorrow, or I will out you myself comes evening. We need to build up at the very least some kind of trust as a party if we want a better shot at surviving this whole affair.

-Speaking of trust while being ready to thrust that stake right through my heart sounds a tad hypocritical, dear. Don't tell me you imagine I'm the only one with that kind of secrets.