Chapter 6

Bobby tried to focus on the forms on the desk in front of him, but in truth, inventory requests were the last thing on his mind. The atmosphere in the firehouse was restless as news spread, a quiet disorder setting everything on edge. During the weeks that had followed the accident, a dark and sombre cloud had been cast over the 118, one that still lingered in the empty spaces left behind by one of their own. But now, those empty spaces seemed to be electrified, buzzing with an energy the firehouse had been missing for a long time.

It was good news, but that didn't mean Bobby wasn't worried.

He was worried about Buck, worried about how much information was too much and worried that he would repeat old mistakes, attempting to wrap the kid up in bubble wrap to keep him safe from harm, only to hurt him more in the end. He thought he had learned his lesson, but he knew there would always be a part of him that felt overprotective of Buck. Hell, Buck had even called him on it after the lightning strike.

Then there was Eddie.

He was sullen and silent, and Bobby wasn't the only one to notice. Chimney and Hen hovered over him, each attempting to reach him in their own ways. Chimney with his awkward jokes and jabs that earned him many a raised eyebrow from Hen. And Hen, she took the softer route. She was gentle with him, reassuring.

Bobby had filled the pair in early before the start of the shift, to avoid Eddie having to explain himself. Not that Bobby truly understood what Eddie was thinking, but he respected him enough not to push just yet.

All thoughts were pushed to the side though, as his office door was torn open and Athena stormed inside, a fire in her eyes that echoed in the curl of her fists.

"Athena," he said, frowning and sitting back a little, watching her with caution. "What are you doing here?"

The door swung closed behind her and she stalked toward his desk, slamming a manilla folder down onto in front of him. "Our boy should have been in the system eight months ago. Eight months."

She tucked her thumbs into the belt loops on her uniform, jaw tight as her gaze flickered away for a moment before returning to watch as Bobby picked up the folder she had placed down. He flicked through it with a furrowed brow, not entirely sure what he was looking at.

"What are you talking about?" he asked, but the further he got into the file, the more apparent it became.

"Someone at the precinct that dealt with Buck royally screwed up. His DNA, his fingerprints, they never even made it into the system. And his paperwork, it got 'misplaced' in the non-priority pile. The gunshot wound alone should have had his case moving up on the food chain. I swear, when I get my hands on whichever amateur-"

"Athena," Bobby breathed out in an attempt to calm her, which was extremely difficult given the way his own blood was boiling.

She took a breath and closed her eyes, pushing her hands out in front of her and looking slightly more in control when she met his gaze again. "I just think about him out there, all alone, when if we had known..."

"I know," Bobby answered, nodding his head in agreement. He closed the file and focused on her. "So, what do we do now?"

"I pulled this from the evidence box. It was one of the few things Buck had when he was found." She dug into her pocket and pulled out a clear bag with a crumpled up and torn piece of paper inside it. "I figure if the assholes over there can't be bothered to solve this, then I will."

Bobby accepted the bag and turned it over in his hands. The paper was worn, the ink faded on it faded and blurred from what looked to be water damage, but the logo at the top, it looked familiar. "This looks like a receipt from Mike's. We stop there all the time for coffee."