Chapter 10

Notes: Two more chapters to go after this! I plan to have them both up before March 14th.

Chapter 10

Heart hammering in his chest, Buck couldn't look away from the deep brown of Eddie's eyes. He swallowed hard, sure he had heard wrong at first, but the gentle touch of Eddie's fingers wrapped around his wrist held him captured, hopeful and wishing. For the first time since getting back, since being reunited with his family, he truly felt home. Spending the day with Christopher and Eddie had felt so natural, and standing there, right now, lost in Eddie's gaze, he was almost afraid to think that maybe, just maybe... he had found his place. The one where he belonged.

"Eddie," he breathed out, but he was interrupted almost immediately, Eddie cutting over him, fingers tightening on Buck in a way that screamed desperation. But it wasn't once painful or too firm that Buck couldn't have pulled away if he wanted to, but he didn't.

"I have been such an idiot, and I don't even know where to start to apologise." The words tumbled from Eddie's lips, tears shimmering in his eyes. "You... you needed me and I pushed you away. I was so lost in my own head, my own feelings, being so afraid of the thought of losing you again and I couldn't see what I was doing. I kept telling myself that I was doing it for you and for Christopher. I thought, I thought... I don't even know what I thought. I was selfish, and I couldn't stand the thought of you not wanting to be with me, so I didn't even give you the chance... I didn't give you the choice. Bobby was right, and Hen, and everyone..."

Buck cleared his throat, gaze dropping and Adam's apple bobbing as he slowly pulled himself from Eddie's grip. Pain flashed across Eddie's features, and Buck was sure he saw Eddie's breath hitch, his hand still lingering in the air where Buck's wrist had been. Buck dug into his pocket and pulled a folded-up napkin free. He looked down at it a moment before finally speaking.

"I lied.... earlier," he confessed. "Back at the diner when I said I forgot my phone. That's not why I went back inside."

He held the napkin up, unfolding it to reveal the liquorice pieces inside. The waitress had refused to take any money from him when he asked, her smile soft and eyes lighting up as he explained. She had offered to give him a bag full, but he had declined. It had to be this, because this felt familiar, it felt right.

"Buck..."

"I know it's not much," Buck continued. "It's not even anything really. No, it's stupid...it's-"

"Perfect," Eddie interrupted, taking the napkin and liquorice, smile playing on his lips. He held onto it for moment longer before putting it down on a nearby table and turning to Buck once more, hand reaching out but falling short. "I'm sorry, Buck. I... I let you down."

Buck caught Eddie's hand before it could drop back to his side, intertwining their fingers and holding it up between them.

"You were wrong, by the way," Buck said, only continuing when Eddie tilted his head slightly in confusion. "I can't remember the things we did or what we've been through, but I remember this. I remember us. I might not be your Buck, the one from before all of this, but this feeling... I don't think I could ever forget this."

Eddie shook his head, his spare hand moving up to Buck's cheek, and Buck instinctively leaned into the touch. "Memory or not, you are Buck. Nothing could take that away from you. Today proved it more than ever that you are still the same Buck. My Buck... You don't have to be anything other than who you are right now, for anyone. So, please, stay. I will do whatever I have to, to make it up to you."

"There is something you could do."

"What is it?"

Buck smiled, small and coy. "Kiss me?"