Chapter 11

Author's Notes: One more chapter left after this. If you follow me on tiktok, you probably have an idea of what is coming this chapter...

----

Eddie watched Buck even more carefully after the call was done. He watched the plastered-on smile and the distracted conversations. Bobby had put a hand on Buck's shoulder, looked deep into his eyes, and asked 'you okay, kid?', but beyond that and a gentle squeeze on the arm from Hen, no one questioned him. They knew it had to be Buck's decision to open up about what had happened. They also knew that, now Eddie had his head out of his ass, he would be with Buck through every step of it. Including being woken up at three o'clock in the morning to a sleep-disturbed Buck.

It was the aggravated moaning that pulled Eddie from his sleep, and he was moving without even thinking, the actions so instinctual, propping himself up and placing a gentle hand on Buck's cheek as he looked down at the creases twisting up Buck's face. It was far from the first time he had woken up to Buck having a nightmare. They had happened less and less the longer they were together, as if Buck's subconscious found safety in simply being beside Eddie. So, it wasn't the first nightmare he had comforted Buck through, but it was the first one since Buck had returned to him.

"It's okay, Buck," he said gently, his thumb lightly running over Buck's birthmark. "I'm here."

But Buck's breathing didn't calm, if anything it quickened until his eyes shot open and a single name tumbled out over his lips on a desperate plea. "Christopher..."

Eddie swallowed hard at that, the weight of the memory pushing in on him. Between this and the panic attack earlier near the water, Eddie didn't need to ask what the nightmare was about. He already knew.

"You're safe, Buck," he said softly, trying to catch Buck's eyes as they frantically searched the darkness. "You're awake now and we're home."

Buck finally met his gaze, panic written clearly in the lines of his face, and he pushed himself up a little, as if trying to decide whether or not he should be moving. "Christopher..." he repeated.

"Is fine," Eddie finished for him, his hand moving to Buck's bare chest, Buck's skin sticky with sweat, his heart beating so hard that Eddie could feel it easily. "We can go and see him if you want, but he is safe. We're safe."

Buck settled a little at that, his shoulders falling as he let go of a breath. He let his head fall back against the wall and gazed up at the ceiling. "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Buck," Eddie soothed, adjusting himself so he was beside Buck and gently raising his arm, a silent invitation for Buck to lay his head against Eddie's chest. He was glad when Buck did just that, and pulled him closer, resting his own head against Buck's.

They stayed like that for a while, until Buck's breathing had returned to normal and Eddie could feel the tension leaving the younger man. After that, he gave it another few moments before speaking.

"It was the water, wasn't it?" he asked.

"Mmhmm," Buck answered, nodding his head a little. "I was drowning, and I was... I was trying to find Christopher. I thought that being back here, the dreams would stop. Dr Trent said it was probably a metaphor, my mind searching for my old life."

"Sounds more like a memory to me," Eddie said, soft and slow, tightening his hold on Buck ever so slightly when he felt the younger man jerk in reaction to his words, breath hitching once more.

"What?"

"There was a tsunami, and you and Chris were at the pier when it happened." He stroked his fingers across Buck's arm in an attempt to keep him calm, but with the way Buck was shifting, it didn't seem to be working. "You got separated."