CHAPTER 1: The Farewell

HIS ASSIGNED MATE

Chapter 1: The Farewell

My brother, Jeffery, was hauling my two big suitcases down the wooden stairs, the sound resonating off the walls of our silent house.

I looked towards my mother and father sitting around the dining table holding each other's hands as they stared at me glumly.

Rebecca, Jeff's mate and wife, stared at me with a forced smile, some wet hair sticking against her forehead while the rest was in a long braid because of the recent shower she had taken. She was touching her pregnant belly as Jeff rolled the two suitcases toward the front door, his eyes keenly focused on his task rather than me whom he was supposed to be bidding farewell soon.

"I'm not dying," I finally broke the silence with a loud stomp of my black shoes that I wore under dark tights and a long white dress reaching my knees. I clenched onto the cascading length of the dress sitting on my thighs and turned to look at my mother and father with a smile. "At the moment I'm momentarily questioning if I am your daughter. This is the Beta's house; you have more chances of seeing me than Omegas who will be gone without any knowledge of whether they will be meeting their family. Look at the positive, please!"

My mother smiled softly and stood up while my father continued resting in his seat, his eyes reddening as he continued staring at one spot on the table. Walking over to me, my mother engulfed me in a tight hug and caressed my back with the palm of her right hand. "Even though you are my only daughter..." she pulled away to stare into my eyes sincerely, her light brown hair looking messier than before while her green eyes shined brightly, "...you are the bravest girl in this pack! I know you will get through anything, so don't be afraid. There are no fated mates since the Moon Goddess changed the course; it will be hard to keep control over your mate, but it is not impossible!"

"Yeah, and believe it or not..." Rebecca came over to my mother's side, her thin brows furrowed together, "Even though there will be no sparks flying and the magnetic feeling as our ancestors used to have, the blood bond that will be made in the ceremony does initiate something that will make the bond with your mate unbreakable. Right, Jeffery?" She looked at my brother.

I cringed at the thought of the blood bond process that I would have to take part in at the ceremony. Shaking my head at my thoughts, I looked at Jeff who was resting on the couch with his knees apart, his eyes watching me like a hawk.

"There is another thing that can be done to make sure your mate stays in line," Jeff started, and I raised a brow at him, "don't keep secrets from me," he continued, making me purse my lips, "If he ever even threatens to hurt you, I will shred him into pieces without a care of his status," the way he finished convinced me that he was not joking around.

Smiling slowly, I nodded my head. "Noted! Thanks, Jeff!"

He looked away, unable to meet my eyes.

I was about to say something else when suddenly there were flashing lights that could be seen from outside our long window. Like my family, numerous houses down the line also had their lights bright and window curtains pulled back to the side, awaiting those dreadful flashes of light that would signal our time for farewell was coming to an end.

While families who served the Alpha directly, such as ours, had the benefit of coming to the wedding reception, there were families of omegas that were not allowed to be a part of the wedding. I feel relieved for myself but at the same time saddened by the events everybody would have to face. It is unfair to the omegas to be treated like they have no feelings or family merely because of their status which they did not choose to have in the first place, that's why I hope I get an opportunity to speak with someone in authority of the ceremony to reconsider the rules they have made.