CHAPTER 6: The Wedding Day

HIS ASSIGNED MATE

Chapter 6: The Wedding Day

Candles flickered in the night on top of long poles, illuminating the forest clearing in a warm romantic glow in which newly assigned mates of Red Moon Pack danced, some intimately while others laughing at each other's clumsiness when one would step on the foot of another.

I couldn't help but frown and become envious at the sound of their laughter from where I sat perched on a long thick log in front of the small bonfire, my hands interlocked on my lap. I was getting angrier by each minute that passed by without Liam's presence. 

It was our wedding rehearsal, our names will be the first to be called before the other couples who are getting married tomorrow from Red Moon Pack, yet it has been past an hour and I'm still waiting. Grace and Chase said they are at the task of getting Liam, they had told me that about forty minutes ago, and so now they are also missing. 

"I'm so sorry," one girl who was dancing with her mate suddenly exclaimed with her one palm to her mouth in shock, "That is the fourth time I've done that, haven't I?"

Her mate simply chuckled, "The fifth actually, but who cares," he grabbed her waist and pulled her into his arms close enough that her feet were placed on top of his shoes, "Since you love stepping on my feet, we can simply dance this way," he led her away on a slow dance deeper into the crowd, making me follow them with my gaze without a shame. 

Biting down on my bottom lip, I smiled at the duo as they laughed in the distance. I wish Liam and I could talk to each other this simply, but matter of an apology is the barrier between us becoming a normal couple.

From the corner of my eyes I could see Grace walking towards me, her shoulders slumped and a frown on her face. From her face I could tell she had failed at her task. I stood up and walked over to her so I could meet her half way, "What's wrong?" I asked despite knowing her reply. 

Grace looked at me from under her lashes, "He has a Alpha meeting in one and half week so he is busy preparing for that." 

"Oh, that's his priority right now?" I asked her with a forced chuckle, making her pout and look away in shame, "Don't feel bad, Grace, I'm fine. You told me every bit of instruction I need for the wedding tomorrow, it is he who would be making a fool out of himself," I crossed my arms over my chest and smiled. 

I felt a pair of hands grab mine tightly, it was Grace, "I'm sorry on his behalf, I don't know when he will learn how to balance work and family life." 

"Don't apologize on his behalf," was all I could say with a smile. "Aren't we supposed to be picking out my wedding dress?" I changed the topic with a raise of my brow.

"Oh right!" She grinned and began pulling me towards the pack house, "This is going to be so much fun!" 

*

Two painful hours went by before I finally decided on a wedding dress. The dress was a tight fit around my waist and chest, to which Grace just said, "It looks perfect! My brother is such a fool for not treating you nicely," Grace said in annoyance as she adjusted the long back hem of the dress. 

I self-consciously ran my palms down the silk fabric over my stomach as I stared at myself in the long mirror. 

"Grace?" I looked through the mirror to see Chase standing in the doorframe, "Can you help me with something downstairs?" Chase asked awkwardly. I knew instantly that it was a lie, so I looked over my shoulder at him with narrowed eyes. 

Grace wore the same expression for a moment before she nodded her head, "Okay..?" I watched her follow him out the room and then heard their footsteps fade down the hall.