Chapter 95 - Prose and Points (Part 2)

However, Pecanty didn't mention any of the students by name, only picking a question or two from each section to review while he wrote notes on the blackboard. "Here, you were asked to give synonyms and associated words for the keyword 'rain,' and then use them in a sentence. One student provided three links. 'Storm,' 'cloud,' and 'water.' Uninspired, to say the least, as each of those words can quite literally be combined with 'rain': rainstorm, raincloud, and rainwater. The sentence provided was, 'The dark clouds broke with a rainstorm, filling the streets with water.'" He recited it quickly, with an unusual lack of lilting inflection, then looked up again, slapping the test down on his desk. "Boring and plain. I cannot imagine myself there, nor feel anything from that sentence."

He picked up a different test, flipping to the same section and reading aloud, this time with his usual cadence, as if reciting a piece of poetry. "'The dreary drizzle that had filled the morning turned, by evening, to a drenching squall, sheets of water crashing down from an oppressive, bruise-purple sky.' Keywords were 'drizzle,' 'squall,' 'crashing,' and 'oppressive.' I hope the difference is obvious, but if not, let me point out that none of these words can be directly joined to 'rain' to form their own word. This example used both alliteration and metaphor, as well as evocative imagery."

He moved to yet another test, flipping to a new section. "You were asked to list the connotations associated with a certain component, and then relate those associations in a memory or scene highlighting the component. In this particular case, the component was daisy petals. This test-taker correctly enumerated daisy petals' connection to the ideas of new beginnings, hope, innocence, fun, affection, and purity. Most of you got that right, which shows that at least University students can memorize information from their textbooks." Pecanty paused for a scathing moment that almost reminded Sebastien of Professor Lacer. "The problem is here: 'The girl picks daisies in a field, plucking petals as she attempts to divine, "He loves me," or "He loves me not."' I am forced to wonder if the point of this assignment was clear, seeing as many of the answers were like this. Let me read you a proper response."

He cleared his throat. "'The daisy pushes through the earth, all green, wet with spring's morning dew. It reaches for the sun, drinking in the light and warmth, and unfurling a flower that opens itself to the embrace of the sky, allowing the buzzing honey-makers to drink from its cup. My mother plucks the daisy and tucks it behind my ear. I am not much taller than the swaying grasses, which smell of sweet earth and buckwheat, and the hem of my cloak is wet and itchy against my legs, but I laugh and pluck one for her in return. She kneels to allow me to tuck it clumsily into her hair.'"

Sebastien had frozen as soon as he began to speak. That was her answer. She had been following the advice of the upper-term student, going over the top with poetic description, mention of the senses, and had even made up a connection to her own past. In addition to writing with unnecessarily pretty handwriting.

"Notice the expression of new beginnings, innocence, and affection symbolized by the anthropomorphization of the daisy itself, and then the innocent exuberance of the child, who is fully grounded in the sensations of that moment," Pecanty said. "It's practically bursting with connections to all the meanings a daisy petal might hold. If time allowed, we could examine this answer alone for most of the class period."

'That is...utter bullshit.' Sebastien had to wonder if all the themes, subtext, and meaning Pecanty found in the books, poems, and plays they studied in class were as similarly nonexistent as this, unintentional on the author's part and attributed with layers of significance that the work did not, in fact, possess.

After a few more examples, Pecanty moved on to the theoretical spell section of the test. "You were asked to create a spell array and casting method for a spell that would help someone process their sorrow or grief, explaining your choices along the way. Some of you chose to use a pentagram, a safe but uninspired choice." He turned to copy out two spell arrays on the board. "This one, using a hexagram for the main symbol, for its connection to spiritual balance, guidance, and mental or emotional aid, is ideal. Especially with the inclusion of the tetragram, or four-pointed star, which in this case was added to turn the focus toward stability and the past. This will help anchor someone who might be more emotionally fragile."