Chapter 98 - Excessive Force (Part 2)

Oliver scowled at him. "It shouldn't be that difficult. It is our job to provide some measure of security for the people in our territory, Huntley. Otherwise they will lose faith in us, and that leads to attempted coups."

Huntley crossed his arms over his chest. "No. My job is to keep you safe. Worst case scenario, I go out there and end up getting arrested, and then something happens to you."

"I'm not completely helpless without you, you know. I've handled myself against worse threats, and I'll stay hidden in the carriage the whole time."

Outside, the coppers had stopped beside a stall selling thin bowls of steaming soup run by a scowling middle-aged woman. The one who'd pocketed the coin swaggered up, saying something to the woman. Perhaps a threat, or perhaps just a request for a bowl of soup.

She sneered, crossing her arms over her chest as she retorted.

Oliver noted the subtle antlers painted clumsily on the corner of the wooden sign that hung from the stall.

The crowd outside grew thicker as people stopped to watch the commotion, scowling and muttering.

The older copper said something to his younger partner, gesturing for them to leave, but the young man ignored him, stepping around the stall to drag the woman out into the street by her arm.

"Just go out and act vaguely threatening, Huntley. They're going after a woman now. I'm worried things could go poorly." More passersby were now stopping to glare at the coppers, and the muttering was growing louder.

A thickly muscled man in a leather apron yelled out an angry remark that Oliver couldn't make out, but which roiled the crowd and drew hostile looks from both coppers. People were beginning to mill around the carriage, blocking the horses, so they couldn't leave anyway.

Huntley settled back, crossing his arms. "This isn't a negotiation. Even if I was inclined to abandon my duties, which I'm not, Katerin would kill me. The proprietress will be fine. At most, the coppers will mess the stall up a little and make her come in for questioning. That's half a day's earnings gone. If I go out there, all it gives us is a minor show of force against two beat coppers who don't much matter. Either I threaten them and they come back more angry, with a legitimate reason to arrest me, or I bribe them to go away and we still look weak."

"I think it could be worse for her—"

The woman spat in the copper's face.

Oliver's heart sank.

White-faced, the man shoved her to the ground, his hand going for the battle wand at his waist.

Oliver lunged for the door handle, but Huntley blocked him. "He'll kill her!" Oliver snapped.

Huntley hesitated, following Oliver's gaze out of the window.

While Huntley was distracted, Oliver slipped on his Lord Stag mask, letting its suction settle onto the skin of his face, and opened the carriage door. The angry clamor from the crowd flowed over him. He paused, because the copper hadn't used the battle wand to shoot a spell but had instead cracked the woman across the cheekbone with it.

The man raised his hand to repeat the action just as a skinny, dark-skinned young man stumbled his way out of the surrounding crowd, tripped, and went sprawling onto the cobblestones.

He was carrying a bulky device in both hands, which fell across a box of soup ingredients set next to the stall, and the sharp flash of blinding-white light from it was evidence enough of what had happened, even with the sound of the camera obscura's shutter being drowned out by the screams.