Chapter 96 - Bini Frogs & Existential Crisis (Part 1)

Sebastien

Month 1, Day 28, Thursday 1:45 p.m.

After the unsatisfactory conversation with Tanya, Sebastien went to see the overall mid-term results openly posted on the library notifications board. She was accompanied by Damien, Ana, and the other Crown Family group members, who she didn't exactly want to call friends but seemed to be spending more and more time with.

As they entered, she noticed a group of upper-term students blocking off a lounge alcove near the entrance, their eyes darting around in obvious, nervous glee, occasionally using their hands to cover immature giggles.

Sebastien ignored whatever mischief they were up to, moving on to the notifications board. She was closer to the front of the rankings than she had feared, having gotten about ninety percent of the available points across her six classes. She had done quite well in Practical Casting, Natural Science, History, and Modern Magics, modestly well in Sympathetic Science, and about average in Defense. Out of the three thousand students who had started the term, they had already lost about a hundred. Sebastien was ranked in the low three hundreds, which Professor Lacer wouldn't find particularly impressive, but should satisfy his minimum requirements.

At the very least, it was a stronger performance than her entrance exams. As opposed to facing a comprehensive test of anything and everything the professors felt appropriate, the mid-terms had only covered what they'd already learned. Additionally, she'd been better prepared for how they would be graded, which had paid off especially well in Pecanty's class.

Sebastien threaded her way back out of the crowd teeming like minnows around the board, and the others joined her after a few minutes.

"I still beat your score, Sebastien!" Damien announced, preening like a little rooster. "I got rank one hundred twelve."

"Congratulations," she said, making sure not to seem frustrated. She didn't always have to be the very best. And besides, she'd had many other projects taking up time she might have otherwise spent on studying. Sure, Damien was taking one more class than her and had still managed, but surely she was busier than him?

"We are all in the top five hundred," Ana announced.

"Except for me," Alec said, giving the girl a look of mixed anger and shame, his hands stuffed deep in his pockets. "But I still did pretty good, compared to normal. My father won't have any reason to be angry. He doesn't expect much at this point, as long as I don't embarrass him. I guess all that tutoring with Newton actually did help." He rocked back and forth on his feet during the couple of awkward seconds that followed, looking at the floor.

"Sorry," Ana said with a reconciliatory smile.

Alec shrugged. "No harm done."

Ana slipped her arm through his, giving a little tug. "You worked hard. Cheer up, Alec. We're now all one-eighteenth done with our higher schooling."

Alec snorted. "So encouraging. One-eighteenth already?" He tightened his voice to give a high-pitched imitation of Ana. "Guys, that's basically nearing the end already!" He gave his nonexistent long hair a dramatic flip and fluttered his eyelashes.

Ana punched him in the arm, and he stumbled away from her, but both were grinning.

Sebastien was too aware of the people whispering about her to get drawn into the banter. At first, she thought the whispers were because of the incident with Newton, but when she scowled at a group of particularly obvious women, one returned Sebastien a bold, flirtatious smile.

Thrown off, Sebastien looked away. 'Either the attention has nothing to do with the rogue magic incident at all, or these women are somehow attracted to men who've recently had a close brush with death. How foolish can you get, that something like this could make me seem like a more viable partner.' She wasn't sure if it was better than being a pariah, which at least would have been a more rational response from the other students.