final part

"Pete!" Chloe looked relieved when she finally found her husband sitting on the hotel's roof drinking out of a bottle. She held her dress up as she walked across the gravel. She finally reached him and huffed. "What the hell was that Peter Michael Lancaster!?"
"What was that?" Pete laughed dryly as he took another sip of his bottle. "You fucking embarrassed me in front of all my friends and family!"
"How?" Chloe asked. She was basically yelling so she softened her voice. "How? I didn't do anything."
"Yeah, you did," Pete told her. He dropped the bottle and looked at her. She looked so beautiful and he had felt so lucky but now he felt terrible about it. "You embarrassed me."
"What the hell did I do?" Chloe repeated herself, hands now resting on her hips. "I've done everything right. I went to your stupid mothers engagement party. I let her plan a bullshit church ceremony. I complied with everything you've asked. Hell, I had my first dance to a terrible Justin Bieber song," Chloe took a deep breath. "How can you be mad at me?"
"You embarrassed me!"
"Can you clarify what I did that was so embarrassing?" Chloe sat down next to her husband before muttering under her breath. "Not even through the reception and we're already bickering. Beca was right."
"That's exactly what I mean," he told her. "Beca this. Beca that. It's always about Beca fucking Mitchell for you!"
"I don't know-" Chloe tried to defend herself but was cut off.
"This one night was supposed to be for us. Every other thing in our life is about Beca. Beca is your life. You need to stop." Pete said calmly.
"Beca's my best friend," Chloe was now pissed. What? Now she couldn't have a best friend? Marriage sucked. "Of course she's a huge part of my life. She's my person. I just wanted to dance with her tonight."
"I should be your person!"
"You are!" Chloe yelled back. She rubbed her temples. "This whole wedding week was about us. About you and me. You're being selfish! I just wanted this one dance with her!"
"No, I'm not," Pete argued. "And this wasn't our wedding week. It was your wedding week hosted by Beca Mitchell. It's always gonna be her. She's your person not me."
"You're the right person," Chloe assured him. "Even the MC said that."
"The MC gets paid to say that, Chloe," Pete sighed. "That was embarrassing. You don't care about me like you do Beca. I'm not your person."
Chloe looked at him. She studied his glossy green eyes, slowly filling with tears upon the realization that the woman he married wasn't even in love with him. His suit was wrinkled, of course. And he was playing with the new wedding band on his ring finger.
"What are you saying?" Chloe asked.
"Beca's your person," Pete told her, slowly getting up. "I'm not."
"Yeah, but you are too," Chloe knew he was right but she wasn't even three hours into this marriage and it was already going downhill. "Pete."
"Maybe," he nodded and then shook his head. "But Beca, the way you two looked at each other tonight. Wait, all the time actually. The way you smile at her. The way you hold hands. The way you danced together. Just everything. It's crystal clear. She's your person; the right person. She's the one."

With that, Pete got up and walked away, disappearing without looking back.
****
Chloe walked back into the banquet hall where hers and Pete's guests were waiting patiently. They all watched as she went to the middle of the dance floor and signalled for the deejay to play some classic music. The music that calmed her and Beca down.
"Um..." Chloe looked around at the room full of people. She then looked at Pete's brother who simply shook his head. "I just wanted to say that this night was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened," she then slipped the cheap silver wedding band on her finger off and tossed it on the floor. "Can Beca please come over here?"
Beca slowly emerged from the crowd. She was holding a chicken leg and slowly biting it. "What the hell happened, Chlo?"
Chloe walked closer to Beca and took the chicken out of her hand and tossed it on the floor. She then joined their hands. "He wasn't the one. He wasn't right."
"What are you talking about?" It hurt Beca enough that Chloe got married. It would hurt even more if she had to go through this with another guy. "Yeah, he was."
"No, he wasn't," Chloe then entwined her fingers with Beca's. Her blue eyes met with Beca's brown eyes. They stared at each other for a while before Chloe snapped out of it and finally spoke. "He's not the right one. You are."
The words hit Beca hard. They hit her like a truck. They were surprising. It nearly felt like getting hit by a truck. It was beyond surprising to her. She always loved Chloe but she was always unsure if Chloe loved her like she wanted her to. But that hope died once Chloe had that simple diamond ring on her finger. "What?"
"Beca Mitchell," Chloe smiled even bigger. "I am so in love with you. You're the right person. You are who I want to be with. Not Pete. You're my person. You'll forever be the person I want to be with."
"Holy fuck," Beca stepped back, scaring Chloe half to death but immediately assuring her. "It is about fucking time!"
"Sh," Chloe grinned. "Language, Becs."
"I'm in love with you too," Beca leaned in and looked up at Chloe's closed eyes before closing her own and then closing the space between their lips. The kiss was soft and sweet, much like the spin-the-bottle kisses they shared throughout their adult life. But this time it was for all the right reasons. Beca finally pulled away and smiled. "You're my person, too."