LXVIII. The War: Foolish Insecurites Are Revealed

November 1, 1978

REMUS JOHN LUPIN

Remus was slightly overwhelmed by all the new information he was learning. "Wait so Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin were not the enemies everyone says they were and instead were secret lovers who created some kind of blood ritual thing that allowed them to have a daughter?"

Regulus nodded. "Yes, and me and Sirius are descendants of Esmeria meaning we are related to Salazar and Godric. Same goes for Andromeda and the rest of my family."

Pandora shook her head in disbelief. "Weird..."

"And you guys met and talked to young Voldemort in the chamber?" Remus asked to make sure he had understood the story right.

"Yep," James confirmed.

Kian let out a laugh of disbelief. "Merlin, we leave you two alone for a couple hours and you find out something that completely changes wizarding history, talk to two ghosts, kill a basilisk, almost die from basilisk venom, receive the sword of Gryffindor, and get saved by Dumbledore's phoenix."

Regulus flashed a wry smile at Kian. "What can I say? James and I attract trouble."

"Hey, I guess we know why majority of the Slytherin and Gryffindor houses are gay now," James joked. "I mean just think of the ratios between Slytherin and Gryffindor and the other two houses."

"Ratios? That's a big word for you, love," Regulus teased.

James placed a loud and dramatic kiss on Regulus's cheek. "I learn from the best."

Remus smiled to himself. There was no denying how made for each other and adorable Regulus Black and James Potter were. They were also the two bravest people he had ever met. All they had done in the last year was amazing. Remus didn't think he would have been able to any of it especially considering all the shit they had been through simultaneously.

"Will you two stop it? You are making me feel single and I'm not even single," Kian stated.

Regulus just blew the blonde haired boy a kiss. "Boo hoo, go cry about it, Ki."

Kian flipped Regulus off and the four of them all laughed at their friend. Remus missed Sirius more than anything but moments like this with his friends made it all better.

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

November 2, 1978

JAMES FLEAMONT POTTER

It was a chilly November day. The weather was starting to transition into winter which made things slightly harder for James and his fellow Horocrux hunters.

Next to him, Regulus slipped the locket off his neck and set it down on the log in front of them. "So how do we destroy it?"

"Killing curse?" James offered with a shrug.

"That's too easy," Remus pointed out. "I mean this is Voldemort we are talking about."

"It wouldn't hurt to try," James reasoned.

"I physically can't cast the spell. Not after...." Kian trailed off.

Aidan, James finished mentally. "Same here," he agreed.

Regulus took a deep breath. "I'll do it. I've already casted Crucio before. I might as well add some more unforgivable curses to the list." James placed a reassuring hand on his boyfriend's free arm. "Avada Kedavra!"

As soon as Regulus cast the curse, Kian yelled. "Duck!"

James dragged Regulus down with him and afterwards. The spell bounced off the locket and came flying back at them. If Kian hadn't warned them, they would all dead.