Chapter 1 : The Trip

Once, I read a theory that said if you travel to the past, you cannot remember your future. Why?

Well, when you travel to the past, everything goes backward, right? The physical state of people regresses. An elderly person who travels to the past would appear younger upon arrival. So, according to the theory, since the mind is part of the physical state, it also regresses, or rather, the information in the mind regresses, memories regress. Therefore, a person who travels to the past wouldn't be able to remember their future, nor would they even realize they have traveled to the past.

Now, whether it is refutable or not, it's just a theory. But it got me thinking, and I asked myself: What if it really weren't possible to transport information through time?

If you traveled to the past on a mission, but when you arrive, you don't remember why you came, in fact, you're not even aware that you come from the future and just live your life as if it were any other day?

Let me tell you the story of Ahysy, an organization that, as you can imagine, studied time travel. Founded in 2020 by William Paddley, the organization had been immersed in this study for over 50 years and was on the verge of a breakthrough.

Daniel Leman, the scientist in charge, along with his team, had successfully sent a monkey back in time three days ago, and the atmosphere within the organization was soaring. Now, they needed a volunteer from the team to be part of the first time travel in human history.

It was about a very important mission. What was the mission? It's a surprise reserved for later. Anyway, two more days passed before they thought it over, and Andrew Petty was chosen.

A virtuoso mathematician, a graduate of Oxford University, he was considered one of the most talented individuals in the organization. However, despite all his skills and the successful man he was, he told everyone that he had never been able to fulfill his dream of becoming a professional rugby player.

He was the ideal man from everyone's perspective. According to him, he had nothing to lose, no family, and had achieved everything he wanted in this life; time travel could become his most significant achievement.

On the other hand, from the organization's perspective, this man's experience, patience, and creativity made him the right person for the job. That's how, on the morning of June 25, 2070, Andrew got up, admired all the trophies he had earned as a young rugby player, looked at his math diplomas, saw graduation photos, and with a tear in his eyes, briefly admired the picture of his deceased parents and sister.

Andrew knew that time travel worked, but he thought one could never know exactly what destiny had in store – whether there might be an accident and he would die or something else. So, even more nostalgic, he touched the wood of his house, went to the backyard, watered his lawn one last time, and finally took a deep breath. He looked around, got into his old car, preferring it to the hoverbike, and headed to work.

Once he arrived, there were many Ahysy employees forming a corridor, and as he walked through, everyone started applauding.

You can now imagine the excitement and adrenaline Andrew felt at that moment, from the tip of his toe to the end of his graying hair, and rightfully so because it wasn't just any day – it was a day to make history, or rather, to become entwined with history.

- How are you feeling - asked Daniel Leman.

- It is a mixture of emotions as you can imagine, but mostly I feel curiosity, mixed with adrenaline.

- Curiosity is what's left over - Daniel answered - But don't worry, soon that curiosity will lead us to infinite knowledge.

- I hope so.