Chapter 8: Pillow Talk

"And like the moon, we

must go through phases

of emptiness to feel

full again."

**********

Despite never having been on my territory before, Jones kept my pace and never slowed. I was grateful to him for that. I hadn't known him for long, yet already he knew what I needed: a run where I left upturned dirt and leaves in my wake. Others runs were meant for sight-seeing and playing. Others for venting.

My brain turned off as the flat lands interspersed with trees and brush unfolded before me like a used book. Nothing else mattered except the dirt between my paws and the scents that blew in with the breeze. On this run, I had no time to think of anything but dodging trees and leaping over small bushes. Animals scuttled away, fearing for their lives, but there was only one life I could think of taking at the moment.

The sun had long set before I ran out of juice. Jones and I huffed and puffed our way back to the changing stations, where we showered, rinsing off all the mud and leaves we'd accumulated.

Jones turned to me. "Now I know why you ran like you did that first day on my lands; you often run to blow off steam, don't you?"

I paused at Jones's question. "You'd think I hate running considering what I chased when Leyton was Alpha. At some point, even shifting became hard, knowing what I'd have to kill at his command. But Dad brought me out of that rut quickly, taught me how to run to vent instead of dwelling on what I'd done."

He nodded. "He was a smart man. You would've lost your mind if you stopped shifting because you associated your wolf with death. You relied upon your wolf even when it hurt, which strengthened your bond. It's probably why your wolf seeps out even when you're covered in human flesh; you're one."

My eyes closed. Dad was always looking out for me, even when I didn't know it.

"Come, little mate." Jones said, pressing his lips against my temple and drawing my eyes open again. "Let's get you some food."

I blinked away tears as we settled around the table with the others. Jones set a cup of my favorite tea before me and piled plates high with food for the both of us.

Shem continued their conversation that stopped when Jones and I entered. "Either way, everything comes back to why Leyton snapped in the first place. If we figure out why Leyton snapped, we'll know why he was making his pack kill and why he was so desperate to protect his position. He was hiding something, what was it?"

Jones nudged me and I obliged him, picking up my fork to eat.

"I already told you," Malra sighed, "his family's death—."

"Yes, but the timeline doesn't make sense. If this was about his family why he would wait years to act out? Something else must've happened or triggered him to react in that way." Amar drummed his fingers on the table, next to his drink.

"But Leyton clearly ransacked his own office—any evidence he might've left is long gone."

Silence filled the room for a few minutes as Jones and I finished our meals.

Jones put his fork down. "Tara, do you know what Leyton asked your father when he questioned him? Or Malra, if you could give us some insight, it would be potentially helpful."

Tara. Jones's use of my first name meant he wasn't asking me as my mate, but as my Alpha.

Malra met my eyes.

I pushed bits of potato around my plate as I recalled the event that had taken place nine months ago.

Malra began, "Alpha Leyton had stormed in the house, his face dark and eyes mad. Hair all over the place, clothes disheveled, it was clear he was in a state and not to be messed with, but it didn't justify... Bryton made some comment about the length of time Leyton was gone and how he looked coming back—something tasteless, like 'were you visiting your other pack?' and Leyton hit him quicker than I could even blink. Bryton fell to the floor and before Leyton could hit him again Tara was there, standing over him." She turned to me, her eyes full of tears. "I still remember the way your face looked—you were so shocked. One from the surprise of Bryton being assaulted by our Alpha, he'd never hit anyone before then, and because you defended your cousin instead of allowing Leyton to do what he wanted. But you stood there, so defiant, so protective, what our Alpha should've been."