Chapter 10: Jealousy

"I am more powerful than I

am damaged and I will rise

from any abyss you drown me

in."

-Nikita Gill, Never Forget

**********

 Dozens of clusters of twinkle lights as well as bigger lampposts lighted the yard now that our ceremony was complete, so it wasn't hard to find Jones' eyes amongst the crowd. His steady gaze pulled me out of the near shift. Well, that and the fact that I knew Kanaya's goal was to see me unhinged and bloodthirsty.

I took a deep breath and tried to steady my voice before I turned back to her. "I don't know who you think you are or why you think you can speak to me in such a derogatory and disgusting way, because it will not bode well for you, not even on my best day. And how dare you speak about my father's death in such a way! I had nothing to do with his death--just as I have nothing to do with you."

"Please, is that what you really think, Tara?"

My eyes narrowed at her blatant rejection of using my title.

Kanaya continued, "Your father's death sentence was signed at your challenge. If it hadn't of been for you provoking Leyton, he would've had no reason to lie in wait for your father. Yet, you walked right into his trap. Or rather, you sent your father to his death, alone."

I stared at her, blood roaring in my ears and throbbing my veins. No wolf had ever talked to me this way, much less a human. And I couldn't get over how an intern to advocate for wolves could ever be so against us. But it was more than that, too. Kanaya wasn't just against wolves, she had some personal vendetta against me that was unknown to me. Why else would she intentionally rile me up and disrespect me?

Though my hands shook in fear of her words, I responded, "You're insane, trying to pin someone's death on an individual who wasn't even there. Why're you so intent on trying to ruin my life?"

"Me? Ruin your life? Your life was falling to shambles before I ever met you. I've done nothing but point out the obvious facts of what has had nothing to do with me. The kicker is, your father only made you Beta because he knew you could never be anything more than second in charge. Even as Luna, you don't have the whole say, do you? Just face it, even your own father knew you weren't cut out for the job of an Alpha."

My claws burst through my fingertips like butter and my hand moved. I'm not sure if I would've actually hit her or not, but Jones obviously wasn't taking any chances. His strong fingers caught my wrist and pinned it to my chest.

"Kanaya, why are you antagonizing my mate? If you wish to continue working for Advocate Cervantes, an apology will be in order. We do not tolerate disrespect or disloyalty within packs, including our Advocates. Advocate Cervantes is a competent woman, I'm sure she's taught you this."

"I apologize Alpha, yes, Advocate Cervantes is the best Advocate in the nation and has taught me well. And Luna, I apologize as well. I guess I thought you could handle the truth, but I was mistaken, my apologies." She slunk off, her smile dripping venomously before Jones could respond.

Though her words to Jones weren't disrespectful, she'd definitely toned down her attitude toward him. That, and she'd clearly pointed out who wore the pants in Jones and I's relationship.

Jones reached out to grip my waist but I discreetly sidestepped him. His eyes narrowed.

As inconspicuously as I could, I made my way back to the pack house. Kanaya's words swam in my mind.

I gripped the bar of the sitting room, briefly imagining her bones crumbling beneath my fingers.

"Don't let Kanaya manipulate you," said Jones, who had followed me.