Chapter 16: Brotherly Confrontation

And just like the moon

you shall go through phrases

of light

of dark

and of everything in between.

And though

you may not always appear

with the same brightness,

you are always

always

always

whole.

-wheresmollie

**********

Breakfast the next morning was an awkward affair. Having multiple Alphas and Castor at the same table reminded me of breakfast the morning of my challenge; the day everything changed. Add Advocate Cervantes and Kanaya into the mix and the meal was just bizarre. Asena made eye contact with me but her eyes were wide and shifted side to side, letting me know she felt as awkward at the tension-filled table as I did. I breathed a laugh into my morning tea. Kanaya scoffed at the two of us.

Connell raised an eyebrow at his mate, but shook his head. "Our patrols didn't spot Ulric or any of his wolves during the night."

"Adron must be trying to figure out how to break the news to Ulric and Leyton without getting his heart ripped out," Advocate Cervantes mused casually, as if she'd just asked Kanaya to pass the orange juice. "If he's not already dead, of course."

"Trust me, we'll know soon after Ulric finds out," muttered Connell. "Remember when I said it's more natural for him to be a wolf than man? He lets his emotions drive him, not his sense."

"That explains how Leyton weaseled his way in then," said Castor.

I nodded. "Leyton prefers to emotionally manipulate. He'll get his hands dirty when he needs to, but it's not his preferred method."

My appetite ceased as I recalled all the times Leyton bloodied my hands by his orders.

Jones placed a kiss on my forehead and got up to pour himself another cup of coffee.

"Alpha Connell, I'm surprised Ulric didn't contact you before. If he knew you wouldn't take his side I can't imagine he would wait for the legality of a declaration of war."

"That's because Ulric never asked me whose side I was on. He always assumed I would take his and I never bothered to call and confirm," said Connell.

"I see."

"Yes, Ulric's pride has driven him to many conclusions over the years. Anyways, we've got to go get ready," announced Asena. "Gotta get this show on the road before Ulric blows his top!"

The Luna drug her mate from the room and I looked to those sitting at the table for an explanation.

"As my first act as Advocate for this pack, I'll be signing the papers for Alpha Connell and Luna Asena to induct Castor into the pack," supplied Advocate Cervantes.

My jaw slackened in surprise.

"They asked him yesterday while you were...on your run with Alpha Jones," Kanaya mentioned.

I was about to retort to the apprentice when Jones set a steaming mug down in front of me. Inside were tea leaves from home, steeped to perfection. The fire in my eyes transformed into gratitude when I looked up at him.

"I need to go get ready, too," murmured Castor.

I guess I would have to offer my congratulations later.