Chapter 20 - He needs her

Rayland was filled with both sympathy and frustration towards his elder brother.

Even the walls of his dorm were much brighter and healthier looking than he was. The dorm with its exquisite style that normally appeased anyone's mood, didn't work on Rayland at that moment.

The dorm rooms allocated royalty were top-notch notch especially the royalty that was part of the school's elite thirteen. Rayland dreamt of attending Ekiya alongside his brother so much so that he attended the probationary six months even though he was exempt from them, but he didn't do it to watch his brother turn into a living ghost. A laughing stock.

His furious glare turned around the dorm, with its stormy grey walls and white ceiling. The white curtain rails and drapes added a bright essence to the room, and the sofas were comfortable to sit on but Rayland couldn't sit on them long enough, he was burning inside.

"Xaden, look at yourself, this bond with your mysterious girl has turned you into a living ghost and people are laughing behind your back. Calling you weak, soon enough they will be challenging you for your position as the leader of the thirteen!"

Xaden only just granted in response. The way he has been doing in the past hour, only made Rayland angrier. His platinum hair fell over his bent head and not in a charming way either.

"If you don't do anything about this bond, that's draining you more than strengthening you by the way, I will write to Father about this!"

"You wouldn't dare!" Xaden growled, his eyes flashing.

"That's the brother I know! What is it about this girl that's got you so hooked up? You haven't done the ritual yet, this bond is still breakable."

"You do not understand.  I feel as though without her, the darkness will consume me once again. I - I cannot go back there, Ray."

Silence reigned. Rayland gritted his teeth so hard, he unintentionally drew blood. Every little crime that was done against his family had cost them a lot and yet they still haven't had enough.

"They are forcing our family to make a stand, I am sure you are aware of it. Every other kingdom is vying for the spot at the imperial palace, every kingdom is up in arms to ensure that we are the first family in history to be removed from power. Every other kingdom except..."

"Celestria. The very kingdom they are trying to discredit," Xaden added, "We need their help. I need that girl's help, she is the only one who can make the curse weak and afraid."

Rayland lost the fight. He knew his brother's secrets and weaknesses, the two brothers have tried to find a cure but haven't found anything. The kingdoms have been trying to find his weakness as though they knew he had one.

"No one wants to be part of the thirteen. Since the other members are somewhat engaged, we are tasked with recruiting the last four members."

"Let's get on with it then. I suppose it's the least I can do."

Rayland knew what he was talking about. For the past month, Xaden's health had deteriorated so fast that even the girl who hounded him for a betrothal had stepped back. Annabell was not thrilled and worried about the concept.

The conversation they had the day Xaden collapsed, still haunted his mind.

******
Xaden's Quarters
Two days Ago

"Josephine has been asking what was ailing Xaden. She seemed worried that he might be terminally sick but her shallow personality shone when she said she didn't want a man that would pull her down especially the imperial crown prince," Annabelle said, casting a worried glance at Xaden.

His eyes were shut closed but now and then, his face scrunched up as though he was in pain or having an awful nightmare. They decided to spend the night in his quarters and the headmaster had assured them the prince's state would be kept sealed.

"What does she mean by that?" Rayland seethed.

"People are talking, Ray. They are saying that the Imperial royal family is weak and that its heir has a curse inside of him."

Rayland felt his insides seize up. He was aware of his sister's scrutinizing stare but he couldn't admit that this was the truth to her. Annabelle tended to mother them, despite being the youngest of the three. If she knew, she would protect Xaden with the ferocity of a mother hen and although that was exactly what the crown prince needed, it would only affirm his state towards their enemies.

"What curse?" he asked instead, proud that his voice was strong.

Annabelle stared at him for a while longer before she shrugged carelessly. "I don't know. But from the rumours, they are saying it's an ancient curse that befalls the firstborn because of who..." the younger princess paused, chewing the insides of her cheek, "Because of the maternal side of the parents."

Rayland was quiet, absorbing the news. He had known that much but the fact that it had turned into rumours made everything dangerous and delicate, an affirmation of these rumours could spark an untamable fire. Still, he was proud of his little sister, she had learnt to be careful with her words, not that it was necessary between the three of them.

Princess Annabelle was the current Empress's daughter, born a few years after their father re-married. The boys were delighted to have a sister and had helped in raising her plus the Empress was a good and kind-hearted woman, who quickly befriended the princes and mothered them unconditionally. His father often said she was a rare gem.

Annabelle inherited her mother's gorgeous looks, a delicate heart-shaped head with golden starry doe-like eyes. Her hair was a rich platinum blonde, she was a true beauty and Rayland could see men fighting over her.

"Do not pay heed to the rumours, Belle. But always be vigilant against all those who claim to be your friend, they are mainly just monitoring spirits, just like Josephine."

"I know. I just hate what is happening to our family, it's hard to pretend that everything is alright."

"I know, but this is when true friends show themselves and enemies show their true colours. Seasons come to pass, we shall survive this."

"What does Xaden need to survive?" Annabelle asked. Tears forming in her eyes.

He needs her. But he did not say this out loud. It was just a thought.

******

Rayland walked a step behind Xaden, in case he fell or needed a hand. Luka had been called to the palace by the emperor on an important call.

Xaden was in pain, Rayland could tell that much but what baffled his mind was the fact that the curse, which had been silent for years,  decided to show itself right now.

What triggered it? Could it have been the bonding with the Celestrian girl? If so, then why did his brother feel the curse weakened when she was around?

A table was already set for the princes along with a shade. Refreshers were placed at the table alongside the forms they needed to sign people to join.

The thirteen were known as the top students in their craft and were an object of inspiration to other students. They were famous even around the other seven kingdoms but lately, they were infamous for wearing due to their poor leadership. Five spots were open for joining but no one seemed interested, even Annabelle.

Rayland anticipated a day spent registering no one, although it would at least be fun to watch as the new students arrived for the beginning of the season classes.