Chapter 26 - Ghost

"No, thank you." The boy squeaked, taking several steps back into the crowd.

Professor Mariana glared at him, thoroughly displeased. "It wasn't a request, boy."

"Perhaps I could volunteer?"

All eyes turned to Amaira. She had that determined look in her eyes, it was clear she was displeased by the professor's behaviour by the frown etched on her face.

The professor's sneer deepened making Amaira's frown grow deeper. "Fine," the professor said beckoning the girl forward.

Amaira's strides were sure and confident, she approached the cauldron eyeing it as though it might bite her.

"Place your hands inside the cauldron and call forth your power." Professor Mariana instructed, stepping back.

Amaira did as told, Kairo even craned her neck to see clearly. Like the kid, she had her doubts putting her bare hands into a hot cauldron.

Amaira put her hands in the cauldron, and a gasp of surprise left her lips. The liquid in the water wasn't boiling but it was warm enough. An icy steam left the cauldron before ice erupted from inside.

The entire hall clapped for her.

"You are to join the Cascade Court. Prefect!" Professor Mariana called.

"There is no need." Rayland's voice boomed across the hall, halting the Ice prefect where he stood. "She is to join KAIST as a novice."

Whispers littered the hall. Professor Mariana's face darkened, "Very well. Are there any more students from this pool to join you? They should go first."

Rayland walked towards the new students, his strides were swift. He paused by the foot of the second-level podium. "Of course," he said. Then he turned towards the pool of new students.

"Princess Kairo of Celestria. Please come forward."

The whispers grew in size and it felt as though all eyes turned towards the new students. Kairo was sure a few of the faculty members craned their necks. She inhaled deeply and then walked forward. Unlike Amaira she wasn't sure of her steps but resolution made her move forward.

She didn't dare avert her gaze but instead glued it to the cauldron. She put her hands in reluctantly. Her lips parted in surprise when the liquid wasn't scorching but she was worried what would come out.

The liquid morphed, surprising Kairo. And then a muddied face showed in the water, tears in its eyes and bloody scratches decorated its face. "Help me!" it said. The liquid had turned murky and cold.

Kairo felt the ice in her bones and soul.

"Snap out of it!" a voice echoed in Kairo's mind. It sounded eerily like that of Katanya. A beat later, the sky shuttered as blue lightning rolled in the sky, illuminating the entire hall. Kairo quickly removed her hands and looked at the waters again, they were back to their crystal clear state.

The hall had quietened down at this point and everyone was watching her wide-eyed. Her feet were glued to her spot and she had no idea what feeling caressed her at the moment. Whether it was mortification or fear. What the hell was that?

"Kairo."

Someone called her name. She looked up to find Rayland by her side. "Come on."

She followed him to her seat and the Imperial prince disappeared.

"Are you alright?" Amaira asked. Concern deepened on her face when she realised how pale Kairo seemed.

"I...I am fine," Kairo lied. She was anything but fine. Whatever was inside that cauldron scared the crap out of her.

"Here. Drink this, it should help."

Rayland offered the shaken princess a cup of something warm. Kairo smiled gratefully, even though it did not reach her eyes. When their hands touched, Rayland was surprised by how cold her hands were. The cauldron had warm liquid inside. But he did not say anything as Cassian came up, his affinity wind and then his job was done as butler.

Kairo drank from the cup, pleased to taste coffee. She had missed it.  She had no idea it was available in Kaimana, it hadn't been in Celestria. Her body hummed to the taste, seemingly relaxing and the cold was chased away.

The sorting went on and on with Kairo not paying any attention. How come blue lightning showed up? All she knew about herself was that she saw energies and that was it. She was a conduit fairy and they didn't have magic of their own. Or was this a residual energy? But still, she never channelled lightning. Only fire. But it had been blue as well. A coincidence?

"Now that is all done! May the feast begin!" Professor Esmerelds announced.

The doors opened and the kitchen staff flooded in with trays of drinks and all sorts of food. Those who attended the staff and KAIST came from the side door. Kairo craned her neck hoping to see where those doors led to but shrank back on herself, all the hairs on her body stood, and there on the food stood the girl whose face she saw in the cauldron.

Her bloody and scratched hand reached towards the girl, blood tears falling down her face. "Help me!"

Cassian followed Kairo's line of vision and realised it was stuck towards the open door, directing his power in that direction, he shuddered as his wind grew cold to the point of crystallisation. Without wasting time, he raised his hand and slapped the door closed with his power. That effectively caused Kairo to jump hence breaking her eye contact with whatever was there.

"Kairo," Amaira called to the girl concern etched on her face.

Kairo shook horribly, her eyes misting. That was a ghost, right? Since when did she see ghosts? When her eyes met Amaira's, she almost screamed as all she saw was blood on them. Her heart raced so fast, she was afraid it would burst out of her chest. Fear crawled inside every space it could find, she tried to speak but even her tongue was paralysed. Tears clouded her eyes when she realised she couldn't breathe.

"Help me!

Those words danced in her head in volumes. Her vision was blurry.

"Kairo..." Cassian began.

"I got her." Xaden's voice pulled her out of her fear, her eyes latched into him, those emerald starry eyes she found fascinating. "Come on, let's get you some fresh air." Extending his hand towards her, the entire hall quietened, watching the scene. Even the kitchen staff paused.

Without a second thought, Kairo put her hand into Xaden's, as though it was her lifeline. Might as well have been, because the fear inside of her dissipated as though it never existed, as he led her out the same side door, her hand gently encased in his.

Distracting herself from the fire spreading within her body from their touch, Kairo focused on her surroundings. They were ancient hallways, dusty and cracked. They lacked the grandeur she witnessed ever since she stepped into the school, they felt more homey, more cozy. "Where are we headed?" she managed to ask.

"You will see."

Xaden let go of her hand when they reached an oval, brown and battered door. The coldness returned but her hand where his had been tingled. She looked down at it as though she could see what made it tingle. The door creaked open, calling upon her attention, Xaden went through and she followed.

She paused when her eyes focused. The sky danced with a million stars, the moon was barely visible beneath the bluish clouds. Kairo smiled at the sheet beauty, "It's amazing." She breathed.

"Look downwards."

And she did. Her face transformed into child-like excitement at the sight of whiter-than-snow horses with wings. They seemed to be drinking from a small stream of sparkingly water. "Oh heavens!" she uttered.

"Welcome to Elaria, Kairo." Xaden was looking at her with an intensity that made her weak at her knees, and then he looked away, his face tensing. "I am afraid aside from the fresh air, I have bad news to share with you."

Kairo felt her insides shake a little. She hated receiving bad news, but what bad news could Xaden have to share with her?