3: Payback

Melanie's POV

After Kate left, I flipped myself off of the stinging echoes. Apparently, she always manages to lift up my mood, intentionally or unintentionally, though today I knew it was intentional. She may have sided with Mr. Arrogant with her words in appreciation for his demeanor, but I knew it was only to divert my attention; her annoyance with him from what I told her was palpable in her eyes.

As she left, I forced myself to study because I needed to catch up on what I had missed since I had joined two weeks late. And it was very boring for me; I may have good grades, but I don't enjoy burying myself in these course books. I study the least, mostly when exams are approaching. But I had to because it was my only chance to achieve my dreams of not having to struggle to maintain my existence and being free of all the harsh words I receive in this life.

...

It's 12 a.m., and I haven't even blinked. My brain is occupied by him. The hatred stemmed from what he called me, as well as what they said about him and what kind of person he is. He play with girls and he is a rude jerk and to top it off, he is wealthy and attractive. I'm curious how simply being wealthy enabled people to demean others? And how unfair life is for those who are truly good and never hurt others, to those who actually deserve respect and happiness, more than such jerks.

I've never hated anyone; I'm not the type to hate people. But what I'd heard and seen of him aided me to. I admit I was at fault too for which I'll do as planned and maybe my hate will fade if he doesn't continue to be a jerk and will end the conflict, but I'll never go his way again because I truly want myself out of the lives of such people.

While thinking about all of this, my eyes finally grew heavy and shut closed as my tiredness overtook my thoughts.

......

It's the next day, and I'm preparing the morning meal for auntie and me, just like every day, while uncle is off on a one-day trip with his friends. Auntie was in the living room, watching TV as usual, while I winded up fast as I have to prepare my bag and leave for college.

I hurriedly packed my belongings in a bag, served auntie and myself, and left for college. My brother had left a car for me here, but auntie and uncle wouldn't let me use it, so I had to take a taxi. I work part-time to cover such expenses. Again, my brother sends me money, which is also taken by his parents; all of this is unknown to him. Kate used to pick me up when we went to the same college; she still insisted on dropping me off at mine, but I refused because it would be too much for her. Anyways, I took the cab and got ready to face the day.

As I entered the college gate, I noticed Miles, who appeared to be waiting for someone. I approached him and patted his shoulder, and he turned to face me, "Hey Mels, what's up? I had been waiting for you."

"Hello, I'm good, and I assumed you were waiting for someone other than the me part."

"Okay, so now we'll be going to class. Have you prepared for what we told you?" He asked with slightly furrowed look.

"Yes, I have. But are you sure it won't be too much?"

"No, given his reputation, I don't believe it's excessive."

"Well, if you say so. Let's stick with what we decided."

Evan's POV

I arrived at the class a little early today, which is not exactly my seen. I am more of a 'coming late to class' types. But as I have to recruit my plan I had to come. I can see faces radiating shock as students started to enter the class, maybe for seeing me in the class this early. Okay maybe not 'maybe', 'definitely'. But none of these faces were of the person for whom my early visit is motived, her.