5. Trapped in the Darkness

Yaar Mujhe itne pyaare readers kaise mil gye? Hayee!

--------------------------------------

Athulya's POV

It's been hours since I shut that door, and honestly, I'm bored out of my mind. But there's no way I'm giving in and opening it. Why did they have to yell at me like that? Can't they be a softie for a poor child like me? Idiots!

Okay, I admit I messed up by confronting him, but I'm not some helpless child. I can handle my own problems. I mean, I broke his hand, for getting close. I could have done more damage if I wanted to. And yet, here they are, treating me like I'm made of glass.

But then, sometimes I wish I could just go back to being a kid, you know? But other times, I'm so done with that. No, I definitely don't want to be a kid. Is this me or some spirit inside me, making my own choices conflicting?

"Aashu, please open the door. Nobody's going to say anything," My brother's voice pleaded from the other side.

"I'm not even interested in hearing anything, Bhai, so please go away," I snapped back, my tone sharp with irritation.

"Aashu, don't be so adamant..."

"Oh, so now wanting some peace is being adamant? Wow, Bhai, do you guys have a special dictionary for definitions?" My patience was wearing thin and I just hope that I don't lash out on them.

"Kiddo, please... at least eat some food," Veer persisted, his concern evident in his tone.

"I won't remind you again, but I am not a kid," I asserted firmly, my resolve unyielding. As I hurriedly descended from the bed, I collided with the corner "ouch.."

I hissed in pain, holding my foot.

"Someone was saying, 'I am not a kid,'" He mimicked me from the other side of the door. Frustrated, I grabbed my shoes and hurled them at the door in response.

"It was all because of you!" I exclaimed, placing both hands on my waist as I directed my frustration at Veer, shouting at the poor door.

"Me? How?" he replied, genuinely perplexed.

"Don't ask, but it was because of you," I retorted, realizing I didn't have a valid reason, but still playing the blame game.

"And if you guys didn't stop disturbing me, then I am calling child helpline," I threatened, leaning closer to the door.

"Good! Try it," Veer challenged.

"Think again," I countered.

"No, no, try it," he insisted.

"Think again, you will be the first one to go to jail," I warned, growing increasingly frustrated.

"I am saying, go on and call them and put the phone on speaker," he chuckled mockingly, goading me further. In a fit of anger, I grabbed the nearest object—a flower pot—and hurled it at the door, imagining his startled reaction on the other side.

I dialed the child helpline, keeping the call on speaker for dramatic effect.

"Hello?" came the response on the other end.

"Yes, ma'am, how can we help you?" I hesitated, unsure of what to say.

"Umm... I need help to get away from my brothers," I finally managed to say.

"Are they harming you?" the voice inquired with concern.

"Yes, yes, just lodge a complaint against them," I insisted, playing up the drama.