24. Painted in red

Athulya's POV

I woke up, rubbing my heavy eyelids. The events of last night flashed through my mind, and I realized the reason for my current state.

Damn, I was just thirsty, and that woman mixed something in the water. May she rot in hell.

"How are you feeling now?" Veer's voice pulled me from my thoughts. I looked around to find him sitting beside me, placing his hand on my forehead to check my temperature. I nodded, closing my eyes, still not fully awake.

My phone buzzed with notification and I groaned my hands reached on the side to find my phone, my eyes were half open but I found it before Veer could pick it up.

"Bad Habits. Ever heard of privacy?" I muttered to him and frowned seeing the message on the lock screen. A message from him was the last thing I wanted this early morning.

The Game

Unknown (+91 ********69):

You lost the last game.

White was your color, red was mine. And you ended up painted in red at the end. How did the taste of poison feel, anyway?

Innocence was yours, revenge was mine. You didn't get my riddle. Don't worry, try this one.

A tree that has grown but remains fragile as day one. Don't mistake its tenderness for weakness.

It's bent but not fallen. But will it fall today?

I am the one who needs that tree. The tree will walk into me, and

you will watch it fall, with your eyes. Remember, red has always been my favorite color.

+39 ********** :

This one is my favourite

Assholes! Fuckers! 

Why do they hide behind riddles? Are they scared I'll outsmart them if they were straightforward?

"What happened?" Veer's suspicious gaze landed on me as I quickly placed my phone back in its spot.

"Why? Did something happened?" I countered, and he shook his head before leaving the room to make a call.

What hypocrisy! He can't even make a call in my presence without suspicion, yet he feels entitled to read my messages.

I slowly brought my feet down from the bed and crept on my toes towards him as he remained engrossed in his conversation.

"I want all the details. Right now! Or get ready for what you've never dreamed of," he almost shouted into the phone.

"But..." came the hesitant voice on the other end.

"And provide security. If anything happens, I'll burn you all alive. Got it? I want answers!" he demanded firmly.

"Y-Yes, boss," the voice on the other end replied nervously.

He ended the call and strode away, unaware that I had been listening. I heaved a sigh of relief, silently thanking God that he hadn't turned around.

But what was he actually talking about?

Daal mein kuch to kaala hai...

Buried in my thoughts I walked in the hall and then found realised puri daal hi kaali hai.

(Buried in my thoughts, I walked in the hall and then realized that the entire situation is messed up.)

The scene unfolded before me as I entered the hall room. A policeman was seated with a man, unmistakably Alessandro. Ma seemed to be discussing something with them, likely related to the water plant setup that would displace numerous people.