| 006: the Maybank effect |

The tension thickened as John B dived underwater, his heart full of hope for a treasure

The tension thickened as John B dived underwater, his heart full of hope for a treasure. The rest of the group, waited anxiously on the boat.

Droplets of sweat trickled down Jade's forehead, the oppressive summer heat intensifying her anxiety. She quickly took off her t-shirt, revealing a vibrant pink bikini.

"Damn..." a murmur escaped to her right.

Jade, Kiara, and Pope all turned towards the source of the sound to find JJ, completely absorbed by what was hiding under the pink fabric.

Realizing he had been caught staring, the blond's eyes darted upward, his gaze meeting the scorching sun. "Huh, I meant to say, damn, it's a hot one today!" he stammered, trying to regain his composure.

Jade rolled her eyes, a smirk playing on her lips, unimpressed by the boy's behavior. "Is he always weird like that?" she asked, teasingly.

"Always," Kiara affirmed, exaggerating a vigorous nod, which caused the other three to burst into laughter.

"Speaking of weird, what the hell was that kiss at the party?" Pope exclaimed, still unaware of the fake couple situation.

"That was awkward," the brunette mumbled, replaying the memory of her two friends kissing

The young kook explained to her friends the fake relationship plan, while JJ was grinning like a loon next to her, proud to play the part of Jade Griffin's fake boyfriend.

"Your brother is an asshole, you know that, right?" the blond said, pointing at the cut on his bottom lip.

"Well, you're the one that grabbed my ass in front of him!" she chuckled shyly as the others joined in her laughter.

But the fun laughter of the four teenagers quickly faded away, drowned by the wailing police sirens. "Crap, not him again," she muttered to herself as her eyes locked onto Officer Shoup making his way towards their boat.

"Just act freaking normal!" Kiara whispered, hinting that the cops shouldn't catch on to John B being underwater.

Jade gave her a panicked look.
"We're two kooks hanging out with a bunch of pogues, that is not what I call acting normal!" she exclaimed, not knowing how to hide her nervousness.

The police boat pulled up next to the pogues' and the officers began their inspection.

"Where's that kid y'all always hang out with?" Shoup asked, a suspicious look on his face.