Episode X: The Source of Anya Forger

The family spends quality time in the evening. The mother, Yor Forger, pours tea after a very mundane day at work. The battle wounds from the previous night had faded.

"Here is your hot chocolate, Miss Anya."

"Thank you, Mama!" Anya Forger takes the warm treat and tries to go watch cartoons.

"Drink at the table, Anya," Loid softly suggests. His thoughts continue where his mouth halts, 'Her refinement is going to become a real hindrance to operation Strix. She lacks the pose of the other children at Eden Academy. How do I go about showing her to behave like the other children? Still the cartoons?'

Anya stares at her father, hearing his concerns. She focuses for the sake of Plan B. If she is refined enough maybe Damion Desmond will invite her to his house.

Anya imagines the scenario, of Damion being so impressed with her pose and grace he insists on her coming for tea at his home. Anya snickers and sips her hot chocolate at the table. She kicks her legs manically.

Yor adds sugar to the tea she freshly pours, slowly sliding it towards Loid.

Loid Forger looks at the cartoons and decides, "Let's see what's on the news." He changes the channel quickly.

The television rings out, "The attack was targeted. No injuries were sustained beyond some pushing in the crowds—"

"Hmm," Loid mumbles leaning forward.

The television continued, "Alen Grenwill was pronounced dead on the scene. He was a decorated war hero and a brilliant scientist. He served his country with fortitude. The terrorist responsible for this murder is still at large."

'Strange that the State Security is being so open with the attack. Why not hide it or deny it? I will have to speak with the Handler.'

The newsman's voice is striking, "What you see here may alarm you."

The television screen splits into two halves. One shows the man's photo, a high-ranking State Officer, and the other half of the screen shows a crowd gathered to celebrate the opening of a new building. Alen Grenwill stands near the front of the crowd. The camera focuses on his head as it knocks back and his head explodes into blood. The camera is dropped instantly. The crowd's screams were all that could be heard as the screen became asphalt.

"Loid!" Yor snaps, noticing Anya's stiff body. Loid then also remembers Anya's presence and changes the channel.

Anya hadn't even noticed the clip of the crowd or the brutal murder. Her eyes were locked where Alen Grenwill's well-decorated profile had been. She suddenly felt pulled back into her life before the Forgers. She remembered a face like his in a white coat. He never smiled at her.

"Uh... hmm... Anya?" Loid tries to speak with Anya, but her eyes remain distant. "The police will handle it, noting to be scared of."

Loid's mind continued, 'How could they put something like that on the news? They will start blaming the West for the attack soon enough.'

"Borf!" Bond puts his fluffy white head on Anya's lap. Bond recognized the man too. Anya slowly pats the top of his fur, shaking slightly.

"Miss Anya!" Yor cries sensing Anya's distress.

"Anya is tired," she finally says. She gets up, leaving her hot chocolate unfinished. Bond followed her slow steps into her room. She moves in a daze, like a zombie.

"Oh, goodness, Miss Anya! What should we do?" Yor looks to Loid. Loid was much more concerned with the larger implications of an attack like this. Anya had been through a lot. She would be fine.