Taking Action

For a moment, Jax couldn't make up his mind. Parking on the street would make him easier to spot, but driving by would render this trip pointless. Eventually, he decided to take the risk. Besides, parking in front of a house, he could simply pass as the owner returning from work. A sly smile crept across his face; now was the fun part. Lifting the binoculars from their cozy nest of fur, they had cost him a small fortune, but they were worth every penny. Once set up, he adjusted the focus and kept his eyes fixed on the window. The curtains rippled as if someone had bumped them. He waited for her usual ritual of pinning them up. However, tonight, that moment never came. Instead, he just saw her shadow moving about in the house. After what seemed like an eternity, he gave up and decided to try another time.

Ava finally finished packing her duffle. She would have been done ages before, but she didn't want to arouse suspicions. Hearing the car start was her cue to get started. With her heart pounding, she watched the sedan drive away. Darting to her own vehicle, she jumped in and pulled out, beginning to follow a few hundred yards behind. She knew this was the right thing to do, no matter how many times she worked through these situations, it was never any easier. To be fair, Ava had played the trial and error game for a long time before figuring out that this was the best way to handle such situations. Taking a deep breath, she focused her mind and steadily began to accelerate, closing the gap quickly.