The next day, at Mara and Dolores' house, Tristan took over the examination like Death asked. Death instructed him along the way to give the young man advice. Dolores sat quietly as Tristan conducted the examination.

After the examination, Death requested Tristan's notes. He pulled Tristan out of the room excusing them to Dolores. She smiled congenially.

Death examined the notes Tristan had taken. He worried Death was going to say something about the accuracy of his measurements and notes, but Death didn't say anything about it.

"Tristan, she looks worse today," Death commented still looking at the notes.

"I hadn't noticed,"

"She is getting worse,"

"What can I do to help her?"

Death looked up at the boy the same way he was looking at the notes in his hands.

"Nothing. There is nothing else you can do. Spend the day with her, please," he said finally.

Death closed the notebook and patted Tristan on the shoulder. Death walked down the stairs without another word. Tristan stood awkwardly at the top of the stairs watching his master leave.

Dolores greeted Tristan when he came back in. She patted the bed next to her legs and Tristan sat.

"I have not eaten today. Could you go to the kitchens and get me something?" she requested. Tristan, without needing further instructions, left the room.

Dolores sat back in bed. The room was quiet. She felt weaker today, but still energetic enough to spend time with Tristan.

When Tristan returned with a bowl of oatmeal, Dolores was trying to get out of bed. Against her better judgment, she wanted to walk. Tristan slammed the bowl atop her dresser and came to her side.

"Wait, wait! What are you doing?" Tristan said coming to her to support her weight on him. He held her hands in his.

"I want to go downstairs. I want to eat at the table," she insisted.

"Okay. You should have waited for me," Tristan said sitting Dolores back down. He grabbed her food and gave it to her. She held it and then he picked her up. Dolores laughed.

"You could have made two trips for us,"

"I can't do that. You might try to run off like you were," Tristan laughed.

Dolores held the bowl closely to her as Tristan navigated her down the stairs. He brought her down to the dining room. He pushed a chair open with his foot and carefully set her down. Dolores adjusted herself in the seat and began eating. Tristan pulled out a chair too and sat near her.

The dining room windows were wide open. The sunlight was pouring in making the room bright.

Dolores sat eating and staring out the window.

"We should go outside again today," she suggested.

"Okay,"

Silence filled the room. Dolores scraped the contents of her bowl. Tristan watched her eat. She seemed to have no problem eating except for the slight picking she did around the bowl. She was eating. That was good. It would keep her strong.

"Tristan, do you like spring?" Dolores asked.

"I don't know,"

"How do you not know?"

"I haven't ever paid attention to spring,"

"Well, when it comes this year, pay attention,"

"Why?"

Dolores seemed annoyed by his indifference to the season.

"Because it is beautiful. When spring comes, I want to go outside," she said looking at him, "Hopefully you will still be here to take me,"

"Or maybe you will be healthy enough to go on your own,"

Dolores smiled, "It doesn't matter if I am healthy or not. I want you to take me outside."

Tristan smirked at the look on her face. She looked like a cheerful child.

"I admit I have never experienced spring in the countryside like this. What is it like?" Tristan asked. His curiosity was now piqued. He wanted to know why she liked it so much.

"It is beautiful. The flowers bloom and the sun is out. The sun stays out for longer too,"

"I suppose I've never paid attention to such things,"

"Maybe you should start. It is worthwhile,"