Tristan and Death stayed for Dolores' funeral a few days later. They had packed their bags ready to leave after the ceremony. Tristan could barely look Mara in the eyes. Her face was constantly etched in pain. She rubbed her hands together incessantly. Her eyes were always puffy and red. Tristan felt how she felt, but he did not show it.

Death and pulled his apprentice aside to observe those at the funeral. Tristan understood this was the last part of his training. He had to watch the pain and grief that Death inflicted. He tried to imagine a younger Death doing the same thing. What had it been like to take live for the first time? What did it feel like to do it for the millionth time?

Death and Tristan, still parading around as Dr. Mortimer and the assistant, shook many people's hands and were introduced to others in town as well as Mara and Dolores' family. They were thanked for their efforts in trying to heal the girl, but all concluded that she was in a better place. She was no longer hurting.

Death had asked Tristan to watch her casket lowered into the ground as the last part of his training. Tristan watched the wooden box lowered into the hole in the ground. The flowers that had rested on top now blew in the breeze. Tristan held back his tears again. He looked down at his shoes. There, next to his foot, was a small flower.