Tristan had let Dolores fall asleep on him. He had left the room quietly. Little Women sat on her bedside table once more with the silky bookmark marking his place where he had left off.

Tristan slipped his shoes and jacket back on. He pulled the covers back on Dolores' sleeping figure. His heart clenched looking at her resting. She needed to get better.

Tristan quietly slipped out of the house and went back to the hotel. His heart raced inside of his chest. Dolores consumed his thoughts. It scared him how quickly it had happened. Tristan was unsure of what he would do when she got better, and he and Death would have to leave. He wasn't sure if he could part with her.

This was the first time in his life he got to experience the world and he was glad that Dolores got to be a part of it. He silently thanked Death for bringing him along. Life seemed so vibrant with her here. Tristan dared to say he loved life with her in it. Tristan dared to say he loved her.

Tristan ran back to the hotel. His footsteps hit the floor harshly when he entered his and Death's room.

Death looked up at the boy puffing heavily in the doorway. His glasses teetered on his nose as he looked over his paperwork and back to his apprentice.

"Welcome back. That was fast," Death said.

"Yes. Dolores fell asleep," Tristan answered, "Death, why do you always sit in here working?"

Death looked at the boy again.

"You should not feel contained in this room," Tristan added.

"I have been to the world many times before. There is much I have seen and do not need to see again,"

"How do you grow tired of coming here?"

"I don't. I simply wish to focus on my work. That is what I'm here to do,"

"Why didn't you explain that the world has more to offer than the afterlife?"

"I didn't think you cared to know,"

They sat in silence for a moment. The apprentice looked around the room. The wallpaper was still in poor shape like it had been when they arrived.

"Death, have you read Little Women? "Tristan asked.

"Tristan, what is this? So many questions. You act like this is your first day on earth," Death said exasperated.

"Nothing," Tristan said looking down at his feet.

Death turned to his papers again and continued reading. Tristan flopped backward on the bed and sighed. The sounds of a pen scribbling on paper came from the desk. Papers were stacked and put away in their files.

"Tristan there is something I want to talk to you about," Death said redirecting his attention to his apprentice. He took his glasses off his nose.

"It is about Dolores," he continued, "It is about your relationship with Dolores,"

Tristan felt his heart race. How did he know?

"I promise I didn't plan for this to happen," Tristan started, "She's just so wonderful,"

Death paused taking the boy in. He adjusted his chair to face Tristan.

"What?" Death asked, "Tristan, this is about your work. It is something I haven't explained to you. It's why we're here,"

"So, this isn't about..." Tristan trailed off.

"Listen, there is something you must do before we go back home. It has to do with Dolores,"

Tristan leaned in.

"I don't know how else to tell you this, my boy, but Dolores isn't going to make it. She is too weak," Death began, "I've known all along she wasn't going to make it, but before you finish your training with me, you must do something for her,"

"Yes, anything," Tristan interrupted.

"Tristan, listen," Death started, smoothing out his shirt, "Dolores needs to pass on. It is her time, but I cannot do it. Do you understand?"

"No," Tristan replied, his throat growing tight, "Why does she have to die?"

"It is not my decision. I know how you feel. My orders come from higher up. I do not decide when someone passes on. I simply am there to help them," Death grabbed Tristan's hands, "We are there to help them pass on. See them into the next life."

"But...Who will help her? Why can't she live? She is getting better," Tristan pleaded.

"She is not getting better. To make her go on would be suffering. It is time for her to go. We both know this is not what we want, but it is a duty we must perform. Without us, the world cannot continue,"

"Us?'

"Yes, us. Tristan, I cannot see her into the next life. You will have to do that,"

Tristan's eyes welled up. He had never cried before. It was a harsh, burning sensation in his body.

"Death, I can't," his voice broke, "I can't do it. She is my...she is my friend. You ask too much,"

"Tristan, this is part of your training. I'm sorry. I know how you feel,"

"No. How do you do it, then? How do you take someone's life?"

"I am simply following orders. The life is no good remaining here in the world. Dolores must go,"

"But I...we were going to see spring together," Tristan said the tears flowing down his cheeks. His hands rubbed his legs as he rocked back and forth. His face contorted in pain.

"Tristan," Death began, then paused, "Oh, I see,"

"What?"

"You love her," Death leaned over to wipe the boy's tears. Tristan sniffled.

"I do not blame you, my dear apprentice. Love is part of this, but so is suffering and death. We are part of this. That is why I brought you here,"

"What?"
"I brought you here so you can see the weight that we bring. Not only must you learn how to be Death, but you must learn what it means to be Death,"

"When must she go?"

"Tomorrow afternoon," Death replied.

Tristan buried his head in his hands. His elbows rested on his legs. Death approached the boy and sat next to him. He pulled his apprentice into his arms and rocked him. He stroked Tristan's dark hair as he cried. Death felt a tear escape his eyes too. This was the moment he feared most for his dear apprentice. It was the hardest part – the first passing.

"Tristan, no one can anticipate love just like we cannot anticipate our orders. This is part of the job," Death consoled, "If Dolores loves you back, then I expect she will be delighted to know you were there in her final moments,"

"She said she wanted to stay with me,"

"And she shall. She will stay with you until the end of her life,"